Skywest domiciles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

phc

I'm a new hire at Skywest and looking for any current Skywest pilots to answer a couple of questions about choosing a domicile, etc. I'm hired into the crj and word is they're accepting fo's into all domiciles. I know that Chicago and SLC are more jr bases. Wondering how much of a difference it makes in upgrade time both for getting off reserve and moving to capt. If you're in a more senior base and a capt pos becomes open at your seniority level do they offer you the chance to take it and move? We're not fond of Chicago or SLC but trying to way that against career goals. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to SkyWest! As far as domiciles go, if you want to upgrade quicker and avoid another move, go with Chicago. SLC is very, very senior on the captain side. How senior? If I stay at SkyWest and in SLC, I probably won't crack the top 100 in the next 5 years, maybe longer. I can count at least 80 to 100 guys senior to me in SLC that have 10+ years till retirement and are lifers. And I've been here 8 years! Check out these pictures though. If you live in SLC this is 45 minutes from your doorstep. http://www.alta.com/pages/archive.php

Thanks Gobi Gred! What about other domiciles? We were thinking about maybe trying to get into one of the other spots (knowing it might take a little longer to get off reserve) and then when eligible for capt and a spot opens at another base just moving there. We're not adverse to moving around (in fact kinda like it!). I'd like to live somewhere coastal or maybe Tuscon for awhile but don't want to get stuck forever b/c of it.

Upgrading is done system wide. They dont upgrade within domiciles. Having said that, if you are willing to go to ORD you will upgrade sooner than if you will only accept SLC. But where you are based as an FO has no bearing on when you can hold upgrade. You can be based in SLC as an FO and upgrade to ORD at the same time as if you had been based ORD as an FO.

phc, The coastal domiciles on the jet are a little harder to get as a new hire since they tend to be more senior. But you never know. If you are not opposed to moving, then go with whatever choices you have right now and when you put in for upgrade on domicile preference just put any and that will help you get the first class your seniority will allow.

Pipers
1972.jpg

shortbus driver said:
What types of aircraft to skywest operate other than the crj for united?

EMB-120 & CRJ200/700 for UAL.

Commuting

How is it commuting to ord from the west coast? What are the chances of a new F/O to hold west coast domiciles? BTW I'm working on my cfi and as soon as I'm marketable, Skywest seems to be a logical place to apply. Granted, I'm on the outside looking in. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Latest resources

Back