SkyWest Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Squirrely

Any word one way or another on United's Chapt 11 filing having any effect on SkyWest classes? I am expecting to be in class the end of January...
Squirrely

I don't believe there is a class in late Jan... I'm in the Jan 6th class and I believe the next one begins the first Monday in Feb.

From what I've heard UAL going chapter 11 can do no harm, only help or have no effect. Interviewing and hiring are still in full swing.

SkyWest is definately a good place to be right now in this time of bankruptcy and continued furloughs (or any other time for that matter).

Class in Feb

I just interviewed with them on Dec 11 and was told if hired from that interview to expect a Feb class starting Feb 6. I was told to expect 30 in that class. Additionally, the management suspects there will NOT be a slowdown, because SW would keep a foothold in markets that United doesn't want to pull out their larger aircraft.

SW still seemed optimistic, for the most part. Of course, things might change slightly based on United (like Delta) starting a low-cost airline (see here: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/021213/united_airlines_1.html ). That said, UAL will still need a small carrier to get customers to UAL's larger markets.

SkyWest says United filing to hurt business

Friday December 13, 8:33 PM EST

ST. GEORGE, Utah, Dec 13 (Reuters) - SkyWest Inc. (SKYWE), a regional jet service provider for United Airlines and Delta Air Lines (DAL), said on Friday that its financial performance will suffer and become less predictable in the wake of this week's bankruptcy filing by United.

SkyWest operates about 35 percent of its regional jet flights for United's United Express service. Nearly all major U.S. air carriers are turning toward smaller, cheaper regional jets to cut costs, but analysts have said SkyWest's business was not likely to see sizable benefits.

United said on Thursday that it has considered reviving its own lower-cost carrier, Shuttle by United, which would operate on the West Coast, and could potentially run some routes that would otherwise be handled by SkyWest.

Utah-based SkyWest said it was planning on "aggressive" cost cuts to address the issue, with the help of its workers. It expected to pass a large amount of those expense cuts on to United and Delta by reducing its rates from 2003 forward, but it said that would, in turn, cut into its margins.

United, a unit of UAL Corp. (UAL) is scrambling to slash costs across its business as it begins restructuring under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. SkyWest said it still believed 28 of the 36 new aircraft it expected for delivery next year would go into service for United Express.

The group of new planes, if delivered, would boost SkyWest's passenger capacity by 40 percent.

In an answer to my own question...Ashley called today to confirm me into the Feb 3rd class, both EMB and CRJ newhires. I asked her about future classes in light of UAL's issues, she said no sign of a slow down yet, and they will be placing new hires into both airframes.

Squirrely

Looks like all 6 CRJ newhires in the Feb class will be assigned TUS as the initial domicile. It seems that TUS and DEN are the most junior domiciles for the CRJ with SLC close behind.

Skywest...

On their corporate web page, they list their mins at 1,000hrs tt etc. but also 100hrs intstrument. I have over 1100hrs, 760hrs multi, 650 turbine SIC and around 60hrs instrument of all types, how solid are they on the 100hrs instrument? I have a friend whos been with the company for several months that can walk in my resume as well.

B

I don't recall anyone in the last year who has been in a newhire class that did not have at least 100 hours of instrument whether it was actual, simulated, or simulator in any category.

Latest resources

Back