Skywest CEO meets with ASA "leaders" Q&A

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
~~~^~~~ said:
Anyone consider the effect the E170 would have on ASA's parking plan?

I think they need jetways. At least they always used them when I rode on them.

Bluto said:
Cram a yes-vote down our throats? How exactly do you think they're going to do that? Here's an easy way to avoid that unpleasant scenario: VOTE NO.

90 seaters for 50 seat pay...thats just not going to happen. They know that...but we have to get over this wet dream that our pay and quality of life will some day match the majors...cause it won't!! In fact, the majors are nothing like what they used to be..they QOL and pay are going the other way.

Every negotiation, contracts keep getting better and better which is good for us. The problem though, eventually the guys at the top get dropped and replaced with the guy who is willing to work for less.

In short, a strike at ASA will not happen any time soon. The vote would never pass and if it did, we had might as well just hand in our notice instead of striking because we will be signing our own "resignation." I for one and not willing to throw everything away and risk layoffs...etc...for 3 or 4 dollars more per hour...or for an extra guaranteed day off per month. What good does it do the average line pilot if we get this great contract, and then 2 years later, the company is shrunk down to nothing and we are all out of jobs...NONE.

We have to be realistic...again, we will get improvements but don't expect some huge pay raise...ITS NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!

Several guys I have talked to all have said "no" to the vote, including myself. I do not understand then, lets say mngmt says ok then... no, but we still have a 50-99 seat agreement. Does this mean if the 90 comes into property it still will be flown at 50 seat pay?

FL990,
This attitude is what is killing our negotiating power. When mgmnt thinks it can keep dragging there feet they will. If they think they can bring our contrct down they will.
You have the right to voice your opinion and I have no problem with that hell I'm all for it. Just voice your concern/anger towards the powers that be. Try the ALPA boards , go to an MEC/LEC meeting or call your status rep. Let them know your concerns and any ideas you might have. The more information the powers that be have the beeter decisions they can make.
Just my opinion and not meant to be a slam on you or your concerns. I just think your opinions on this board are more detrimental than beneficial.

Man...I am so confused! I guess I am somewhere in the middle. I agree with FL990 and Sinca3.

We are talking a couple of dollars an hour...I just don't think that is going to make me or break me. But I know we can't just let management run all over us.

I am having a hard time understanding what the big deal is in having a different pay scale for different size airplanes. I know some of you are passionate about it...and that's definately your right. It's just don't get it. To me, it is the same amount of work to fly a 40 and a 50 seat...I can't see the 70 or 90 being that much more work????

Do mechanics have a different pay scale for the airplanes they work on? F/A? What about the rampers (it definately more work for them)???

I think pay should be based on experience...maybe an increase in the upper ranges in longevity scale. I think there is more value in an experienced pilot versus a pilot who can fly a 50 or a 90 seat airplane. (Any I am way at the bottom of the experience ladder, so I am not trying to give myself a raise).

Scheduling issues and QOL issues just seems like it would be so much more important to fight about. I would like to see major improvement in QOL, a slight pay raise across the board, and maybe a bigger spread (increase) in the longevity payscale.

Delay,
The reason there are different pay scales for different size a/c is b/c the more seats the more revenue making abilities. The pilots that fly them want to share in the higher revenue capabilities of these a/c not just let mgmnt pocket the $$ (which most have been doing the past 20 yrs). I think one pay rate is a possibilty but it should be alot different than the Skywest or PSA deal. UPS makes it work along with several other carriers.
As for QOL issues don't even get me started.....

Cheers

YOU fence sitters need to realize we are talking careers at skywest. IT is no longer a stepping stone. 3 OR 4 an hour raise is not going to send us to the bankruptcy judge. QOL improvements are not going to send us there either. LETs stop selling out ourselves and our fellow pilots by agreeing to work for sub-standard pay and work rules. There is no reason SkyWest can't survive on 19 milliion a quarter instead of 20 million other than their ego may take a hit. GOOD HELL nO DELAY WAKE UP

PS DO YOU REALIZE A SENIOR CAPTAIN AT ASA MAKES ALMOST $20,000 MORE A YEAR THAN A SENIOR SKYWEST CAPTAIN!

Sinca3,

Wouldn't a REAL and FAIR profit sharing plan or performance bonuses better address sharing in the extra revenue?

Let's say I am flying the 50 seater and you are on the 70 seater. We fly the same # of hours and similar schedules. Is it fair for you to make more money just because the airplane you fly made a little extra money? What if you fly your 70 to a city that is also served by Airtran and your route is not that profitable because of competition...I on the other hand, fly my 50 seater to a city / or route that is much more profitable. Shouldn't I then (based on the your logic) get paid more because my flight generated more revenue? Then, what about passenger loads? What if your 70 has only 5 people on board? Have you generated more revenue? What if my passengers are only connecting to go to Asia? That ticket has got to be making more $$.

Again, what about the ramper? If the airplane he loads generates more rev...should he get paid more? Fueler? etc. Difference pay makes more sense for rampers, gate agents, and F/A more so than for the pilots. Don't get me wrong...pilots should make more money...I am only talking "difference pay".

It's just not a fair system. Wouldn't it make more sense that you got paid more because you are more experienced. If we are the same experience (seniority) then shouldn't we get paid the same regardless of the profitability of our plane / route? (I realize senority does not always equal experience - but it is really the only system we have). Then, as the company it makes money, we all share in it equally.

No Delay said:
Halo,

I agree! Raise the whole dang payscale!

I am only arguing the concept of difference pay.
If the whole payscale is competitive with the largest a/c that's flown then i'm all for it. UPS has only one payscale, but it's based on the large a/c not the small a/c

Latest resources

Back