• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skylane landings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I used to own three 182's, great airplane. Just teach him to land with 20 degree flaps when the aircraft is empty. A short-field approach would be with flaps 40 with a power approach at 60kts carrying power to touchdown. Your the instructor let your student know you are teaching him how to fly all aircraft. Let him know that once he gets his private he is on his own but until then follow your procedure. Don't go to the FAA they have enough to worry about....they would never hold you responsible anyway, especially if you make a statement that the student didn't follow taught procedure. If you student thinks he is a hot-shot take up out and have him slow fly the aircraft at 0 indicated airspeed. It will do it, just use those rudders....

To AV8trxx-

as I recall there is a BIG difference in 182's starting somewhere about 1960. I flew for a DZ that had a '58 and a '62. The '58 was an absolute delight to fly - light controls, easy flare, slightly less drag due to the narrow fuselage. The '62 was a pig boat, requiring tons of pull to land on the mains - especially on the last run when there was less than 10 gal of gas on the plane. Definitely a strength-training exercise!

In an earlier life I worked with a flight test engineer that had started at Cessna. He said the lack of pitch authority was on purpose - in the early sixties the big cause of accidents was stall/spin. They made it very hard to stall their airplanes (ever done power-on stalls solo in a 152?)

Latest resources

Back