• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skydive Pilots Now Lining Up!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That plane could make money if they flew jumpers back and forth from Perris and Elloy. Grab them out of Socal, fly them to Eloy, let em jump, get some jumps on the otters there, then catch a ride back later and vice versa. I have a feeling that thing will be parked 80% of the time.

The DC9 does have those rear airstairs, assuming you could get the DC9 slow enough and override that rear exit, it could make a lot of since.

DenverDude2002 said:
The DC9 does have those rear airstairs, assuming you could get the DC9 slow enough...

My old EAL DC9 manual ( circa 1968 ) shows recommended pattern speeds for the -10 series, flaps 20, 160kts. You might be able to get a bit slower, but I don't have any charts for manuvering speed based on GWT.

Not sure how far the aft stairs would extend at that speed. You could remove them, but then, how would the jumpers clear the fuselage ?

It's an interesting idea and someone has checked all this out.

DenverDude2002 said:
The DC9 does have those rear airstairs, assuming you could get the DC9 slow enough and override that rear exit, it could make a lot of since.

Does that mean you would yell Cooper instead of Geronimo?

Well I know it must be possible, a la Cooper, I would think if the stairs could extend all the way there would be enough clearance for the jumpers to avoid coming in contact with any of the aircraft. Any idea what speeds the C17 jumpers jump out at as a comparison?

DenverDude2002 said:
Well I know it must be possible, a la Cooper, I would think if the stairs could extend all the way there would be enough clearance for the jumpers...

Ya, I guess he proved it can be done, but the aft stairs on the -9/727 weren't designed for inflight extension so I don't know if they fully extend, or just if far enough to allow someone to squeeze out.

You would think jumpers would need full extension so they could walk upright to the last step and then jump to insure clearing the fuselage and engine exhaust.

Last edited:
I read an article about two years ago in a skydive trade newspaper when they were close buying the a/c... it spoke of Perris Valley hoping to fly military skydive training contracts with the aircraft.

bafanguy said:
My old EAL DC9 manual ( circa 1968 ) shows recommended pattern speeds for the -10 series, flaps 20, 160kts. You might be able to get a bit slower, but I don't have any charts for manuvering speed based on GWT.

Not sure how far the aft stairs would extend at that speed. You could remove them, but then, how would the jumpers clear the fuselage ?

It's an interesting idea and someone has checked all this out.

I think the one in the pic is a -20 series. It is a -10 with a -30 wing and bigger JT8's. So I'm guessing it may have lower speeds than the -10's...

I know Amerijet took the airstairs out of one of thier 727's for a skydiving convention....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back