Skydive Kaui Needs Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mcjohn said:
Interesting. How about getting down. Any techniques? I like doing the ol emergency decent every now and then. Full flaps, pitching for the top of the white arc in a 45 degree bank. I think I can decend about 2000 fpm in a 172 that way.

The trick is to start cooling the engine down 2 mins before cut and drop, you usually only get a 100 or 200 fpm with the reduction, so you have to plan it a little so you get to your drop around the time you get to altitude. After drop, you should go 90 for a min than 120 for another min, and then you are good to go without shock cooling those front 2 heads. steep turns help you get down faster.

I flew a super nice 182 for a little that had speed brakes. You could keep the power in and still get down super fast. I felt like I was in a 007 plane.

check out www.diverdriver.com for more info.

skipro101 said:
My first diverdriver job was flying a C206 at 30 dollars per tach our.

There are decent jobs out there.

Mind sharing what part of the country that was in? How many hours did you have at that point?

You should be able to survive on the pay at skydive kaua'i if you are already adjusted to college style living ("the ramen diet").

I believe the pay is per day and not per load but i will double check that. The real question is if you can get used to the island lifestyle on Kaua'i (not for everyone).

I can't belive they have a photo of skydive hawaii's old king air. I am now convinced that airliners.net has a photo of every aircraft in the world.

mcjohn said:
Interesting. How about getting down. Any techniques? I like doing the ol emergency decent every now and then. Full flaps, pitching for the top of the white arc in a 45 degree bank. I think I can decend about 2000 fpm in a 172 that way.

My dad always used to tell me stories of the old days(30's & 40's) when pilots would sometimes fly cross-country VFR on top and look for a hole near the destination. If it was tight and they could see the ground through it they would spin the aircraft down through the hole. This would avoid thermal shocking the cylinders as the airspeed stayed quite low while the rate-of-descent was high.

I don't suppose you could do this legally in a Normal category aircraft but you could in a Utility category aircraft. Probably in an Experimental category as well. Anyone do this that you know about?

Do tell! What's this "lifestyle" you mention?

Not sure if that was sarcasm, but if it wasn't...
You basically have two things working against you coming out here. Being a skydive pilot for the first time (if it's your first) and living in the islands for the first time. In the three and half years i spent at a dropzone out here i can't count how many people i saw go from "this is the best job ever!" to 1-6months later bitchin' like there is no tommorow. You do have to put up with a lot as a skydive pilot and you are the only person to make sure things are done safely (where as the skydivers and owners do not get paid until the jump is made). For some that adds up to a lot of stress...while for others this is no big deal.

As for moving to hawaii... For me it was excactly what i was looking for (surfing, warm climate, etc.), but for many, when the initial honeymoon is gone, many find it very hard to be out here. You will be an outsider and a minority so if your fine with that and you like the outdoors then this place is what you think it is. Also some people, surprisingly, really freak out about living on a small island (which seems crazy to me, but whatever). So if that all seems just fine to you...go for it!

Hold West...

how come skydive kaua'i calls center for "jumpers away" and not flight service like the rest of us did on oahu? Do they not have an RCO for flight service over there?

Latest resources

Back