Single Pilot 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Single Pilot 135 Options

Well if you are looking at a single pilot certificate, the letter of compliance isn't too hard to develop. Not to discourage you, I did a single pilot 135 certificate for a year, the hardest thing is finding your niche. In Florida it is a dime a dozen for operators, thats why they pay sucks so much there for pilots but thats for another thread. You dont have to go out to the middle of nowhere but simple supply and demand has to be there. A run to Bimini sounds great but how many others are doing that in the area. When I left my single pilot operation in 2005, my FAA POI said that now new entries would take a minimum of 1 year as a safegaurd against unprepared operators and operators that were shutdown trying to reopen under a different certificate. Money is a concern, but beyond the cost to get the aircraft and maintain it, its not going to be too outrageous.
We had a single cherokee six and after salaries for myself and the mechanic, parts and fuel, cleared about 55k in a year. But as the pilot I was doing 6 days a week sometimes 7 on average working max duty days and minimum rest hours and days. No home life, no nothing. Instead of a 135 cert, look at a aerial tour operation under 91. Easier to start, less headache, operational limitations yes but it can be a profitable niche, look at Jay the guy running Kitty Hawk air Tours. A few 172's and he is clearing a few hundred thousand a year. In the right location you can strike gold. Just think totally out of the box. Best of luck to you.

Latest resources

Back