single engine turbine time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bugchaser

Anybody have any thoughts as to what single engine turbine time is worth? When you see airlines requiring 1000 PIC turbine, will lots of single engine turbine cover that? I know that multi turbine would be more valuable. I am in the situation where I am building multi piston and single turbine time. Will have the 1000 turbine soon and am wondering if I should start sending some apps in. I know its tough right now, but you have to start sometime. Thanks!

Good question

I'd be interested in some answers. I know that many (like SW) only count turbine time from >12,500# aircraft. While some like Flight Options will count any turbine time.

I used to work for a PC-12 outfit and this is what I saw from limited experience. Unless you have some good 121 or 135 PIC, single engine turbine time will not do a heck of a lot of good at the majors. However we did have a few pilots who were able to move on to some fractionals and regionals if they had some decent piston ME time. I think in my case having turboprop experience helped me in landing a regional job.

SE turbine time

Probably a lot depends on what other time you have. I have a friend who had high total time, comparatively little multi (500 multi, maybe, to his 8000 total) and virtually no turbine. He got a Caravan freight job and built up 800 hours of PIC multi. He then got on with EJA.

I didn't realize that SW paid attention only to turbine time earned in large aircraft - which doesn't seem right if you spent time flying around a King Air 90 - and also if you can brandish the magic B737 type. In any event, I agree that the good SE turbine time probably will mean more to the regionals and the frax, especially if you can check off all the other squares on their apps.

Speaking of applications, I am a great believer in applying, especially if your quals approach a company's mins. You never know unless you try.

Good luck with your job search.

Places like JetBlue won't even count it unless the plane is over 20,000 lbs MTOW, which puts even Beech 1900 out.

xxpress1,

My information came directly from a S.W. senior pilot/interviewer. I have a student that shares a hanger with him.

Last edited:
Re: Good question

hyper said:
I know that many (like SW) only count turbine time from >12,500# aircraft.

I've never heard of that requirement at Southwest either. Their website doesn't mention anything about it. You have that in writing anywhere???

Huh, look at my post right above yours.

So then it's all hearsay. I'll believe it when I see it in writing. Anyone else ever heard of this requirement? Surely if this is true there's somebody else around here that knows of this.

Bear in mind that with the changing flux of the industry, any hiring trends or requirements that are more than a few months old aren't worth considering. With more and more people being dumped onto the market with a lot greater experience than the minimum hiring requirements, don't count on being hired at the minimum.

Single engine turbine time is slightly more useful than piston time, but not much. Based on my own ag background, ag time isn't weighted very highly, either.

If you're looking to move outside of ag, your best bet is to start picking up some multi experience under Part 135, and move into a turbine multi airplane as soon as you can.

Until you have that opportunity, however, don't give up the ag seat. The only thing harder to come by than a major airline seat, is an ag seat.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back