Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sincere question: Why go back to USAirways?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ratherfish

Remember the never ending uncertainty, the commute, the skanky, roachy, crashpads, the minimal days off, getting bumped off equipement, getting bumped off bases, Wolf and Gangbang's lump sums, the pleasant flight attendants, the pleasant gate agents, Philly, the flea bag hotels, the yellow school bus rides to the kindergarten-changed-into-a-training-center complete with lunch ladys and chow mein and foot high urinals? Now throw in the east/west lovefest, a CEO who is merger happy (read furlough meat AGAIN), and salary and bennies and work rules that have been trimmed. I don't get it. What am I missing? Why go back?

I'm not trying to fault or dog anyone, I just want to understand what I am probably not considering. I have nothing but the greatest respect for my classmates and 99% of the crews I worked with. With my luck, the fact that I'm not returning most likely guarantees USAirways will be the best thing out there in 5 years.

My last day at USAirways, I listened to a fatassed, windbag Cptn bitching in the CLT crew lounge about not getting extra flying. I was so dumbstruck by it I couldn't respond. He didn't have a clue that it was my, and many other's, last day of work.

Later in PIT, I chucked my company stuff at the chief pilot's office locked door. It kind of felt good. (There was a heaped pile of books/stuff others had done the same with) No one had even bothered to be there to wish us good luck. Classy.

On the bus to the employee parking I spoke to another pilot and explained it was my last time taking that ride. He said he was doing the same thing but that this was his second furlough. The first one lasted 8 years. I will never forget his next statement:

"Kid, run don't walk from this train wreck"

Thanks in advance for the real replies.

I have had the same thoughts, thats why I have decided not to return....Good luck

Man- I forgot about that old school house..

the yellow school bus rides to the kindergarten-changed-into-a-training-center complete with lunch ladys and chow mein and foot high urinals?

well, atleast the PIT schoolhouse and sim center is gone, all training is in CLT or PHX now.

I'm not argueing with you but on the other side, what else is out there??

DAL - same thing

UAL - same thing

NWA (when they start hirring) - same thing

CAL - same thing however alittle less of the same thing but they've been hirring awhile now so your bound to be on the or close to the tail off of hirring if you go now

AA - if they do hire you have the whole eagle thing. AA is chomping at the bit to put an e170/190 type at eagle, if this happens somehow kiss all the md80 size stuff, read bulk of domestic flying goodbye from AA.

SWA - its gonna slow, you'll be a 737 fo forever. the time to go was 5 years ago

JB - slowing of all that was good there 5 years ago

AT - sorta slowing, plus if they start contracting out flying again, plus Delta comming back into the fold in ATL

FDX/UPS - 2 big players in cargo that dominate and set the price, leaves the door wide open for a SWA type cargo operator to come in and do to UPS/FDX what the LCCs did to the Majors. Although the barriers to entry are high look at ABX/DHL and some others

stay at your big regional - the problem here, contracts come and go. Take for example Republic. In 5 or so years the contract with U is up and Joeblow Express underbids Rep. No problem the 170 is still indemand so Rep goes to NWA and flys for them, still not a problem worst case is you were based in DCA living local and now you commute to DTW or MSP. But wait, we are ever a global world and instead od a domestic airline Rep gets a contract with Chinola Gen Tso Express or some South American outfit. Now your based in some foreign country with a 15 hour commute. You can't move you are now in your late 30's or early 40's and have a house in VA or MD with 2 kids in school and the wifey ain't movin to no 3rd world country. Good luck getting home to see the family once a month.

its all a crap shoot in the end - I'll take luck any day

Last edited:
Fate is the Hunter.

I'd like to think it would be better here than at a regional. LOA 93 will go away. Sooner or later a new CBA will be agreed upon, things will get better once we stop fighting.

If I were you, I'd take the recall and put apps out to other carriers; hopefully you'll get the call but if you get stuck, at least you'd be stuck at a crappy major, which, in the long run should at least pay better than a great regional.

Good luck with your decision.

Good post fish.

I know there are a lot people out West wondering what happened to this place. At first there was a general dismissal of the reality and culture out East and a lot of folks sincerely believed that the new airline could embrace the old West culture - Not too long ago AWA was a laid back and fun place to work with a halfway decent future. In three short years, this has gone from a dream job (major airline living in base) to living nightmare (infighting ad nauseum).

Being that we are along for the ride now, the question is - how long does one wait for the tide to turn? Some patience for this to play out seems prudent. The longer we choose to fight eachother, the more we diminish are chance for combined career success at this new airline.

"With my luck, the fact that I'm not returning most likely guarantees USAirways will be the best thing out there in 5 years."

That is my biggest fear and the ONLY reason that I am still considering going back...

Kind of like that episode of Seinfeld where George discovered that if he only do the OPPOSITE of his impulse, he was successful.

My impulse is to stay away from US Airways... ergo..

Well, I think USAirways will be around years from now (even if their service SUCKS - sorry, personal opinion given recent experience with numerous cancelled flights and lame excuses, etc.). I think what you need to ask is whether you are OK with the slow progression to upgrade that is likely... Can you sit in the right seat for a very long time and withstand the potential infighting between East and West? The other legacies are likely to have long upgrade times too - so, USAirways won't be unique in that regard.

Personally, I passed up on my opportunity to return to United - NOT INTERESTED. I've given up on 121 flying - way too many headaches and uncertainties. If I didn't like my current part 91 gig so much I would be looking at Netjets...

Remember the never ending uncertainty, the commute, the skanky, roachy, crashpads, the minimal days off, getting bumped off equipement, getting bumped off bases, Wolf and Gangbang's lump sums, the pleasant flight attendants, the pleasant gate agents, Philly, the flea bag hotels, the yellow school bus rides to the kindergarten-changed-into-a-training-center complete with lunch ladys and chow mein and foot high urinals? Now throw in the east/west lovefest, a CEO who is merger happy (read furlough meat AGAIN), and salary and bennies and work rules that have been trimmed. I don't get it. What am I missing? Why go back?

I'm not trying to fault or dog anyone, I just want to understand what I am probably not considering. I have nothing but the greatest respect for my classmates and 99% of the crews I worked with. With my luck, the fact that I'm not returning most likely guarantees USAirways will be the best thing out there in 5 years.

My last day at USAirways, I listened to a fatassed, windbag Cptn bitching in the CLT crew lounge about not getting extra flying. I was so dumbstruck by it I couldn't respond. He didn't have a clue that it was my, and many other's, last day of work.

Later in PIT, I chucked my company stuff at the chief pilot's office locked door. It kind of felt good. (There was a heaped pile of books/stuff others had done the same with) No one had even bothered to be there to wish us good luck. Classy.

On the bus to the employee parking I spoke to another pilot and explained it was my last time taking that ride. He said he was doing the same thing but that this was his second furlough. The first one lasted 8 years. I will never forget his next statement:

"Kid, run don't walk from this train wreck"

Thanks in advance for the real replies.

Maybe you shouldn´t come back. The LAST thing LCC needs is another miserable cockpit flying around. One more guy claiming that their career expectations were ruined by Nicalaou and greedy AWA fo´s, etc. Go to SWA, Us Airways has become a cesspool of infighting...

Expectations and all that stuff

I know this is a post about going back to US Airways, but I am struck by what Positive rate said, "I know there are a lot people out West wondering what happened to this place."

There is no restriction on where the company can place equipment, add more flying or increase overall service. This is all now occurring in the East, recalls are going east, there is no growth out West.

What does that say about realistic expectations? Very curious.

What does that say about realistic expectations? Very curious.

Well it obviously proves that AWA would have most certainly failed within the next 2-5 years and US Airways would have gone on to be wildly succesful. All of the AAA furloughees would have retired number 1 on the A330, or more likely, the A340. Pay parity with FedEx would have been right around the corner as soon as Congress reinstated the AAA pilot pension with a little extra cash on the side to ensure there were no hard feelings.

sarcasm intended...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back