Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Setting record flight in light airplane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

88_MALIBU

I posted this a few months ago on the general forum but thought you BIZ guys might have more experience. I am looking to fly an NAA record flight and was wondering what the paper work is like? How did you get an observer for takeoff and landing? use a tower? Looking to go from North Dakota to south FL in my general avit plane nonstop...any pointers would be helpful!
thanks
Blake
North Dakota

Use the tower for take-off and landing times (they must complete the form), show in the remarks section of your flight plan that you are a record flight and don't be bashful about advising ATC that you on a record attempt when you are requesting to go at a wrong way altitude direct to your destination.

Except for the Canadians, ATC has always been very helpful. I was on a Tokyo to New York record run entering Canadian airspace at 0300 ( that's very early in the morning for you National Guard types) at 47, 000 feet and was advised that I would have to climb or descend as I was at the wrong altitude for direction of flight. I asked if there was a conflict and was told, "No you're just at the wrong altitude."

GV

GVFlyer

Next time, try telling them you need wrong direction for "operational necessity", ie: fuel to make destination. This has worked for me a few times, both coming in from Asia (Alaska) or Europe.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back