Senator Santorum's response to S. 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahhh, nevermind.

I went there looking for info on the age 60 rule but only found a bunch of pro-gay information. Which, of course, solidified my opinion on the age 60 rule. If homos are all for it, well, by golly then I am too. Thanks for contributing to the thread, WorldOnTime!

I've read many an accident report about "young studs" that made the same mistakes you allege the old farts might make. Age is not really the issue here on this board. it's all about your path to the left seat, and how long you have to endure sitting next to "grampa" till he gets the heck out of your seat.....

I went there looking for info on the age 60 rule but only found a bunch of pro-gay information. Which, of course, solidified my opinion on the age 60 rule. If homos are all for it, well, by golly then I am too. Thanks for contributing to the thread, WorldOnTime!

Well, I originally edited my thread because I thought the link might offend some as it really didn't have anything to do with Santorum. I thought it was funny, but realized that some may not. I typed in Santorum into Google and that is what came up (pardon the pun) first. Sorry I got your panties in a wad.

PS-Homo or not, Age 60 needs to stay!

I've read many an accident report about "young studs" that made the same mistakes you allege the old farts might make. Age is not really the issue here on this board. it's all about your path to the left seat, and how long you have to endure sitting next to "grampa" till he gets the heck out of your seat.....

.......who only got to that seat because every other pilot in the 121 world had to retire at 60 so he could move over into that seat.

Quite simple really.

Up and out system, there has to be a method to push guys out of the top end, and age 60 has been doing it for the past 50 years.

No reason to change it now.

FJ

Fact is you don't know how old they were foxhunter. One thing is certain though, those drivers all thought they were safe. They could drive just as well as any young 'un. Heck, they could drive better than any young 'un, mostly because of all their vast experience, knowledge and skill. Crash!

ICAO Report,

On the contrary, studies conducted in Japan (1990) and United States (1993) both gave indication that pilots’ retirement age could safely be increased by several years, and a very recent study of 165 commuter aircraft accidents in the United States between 1983 and 1997 points to no notable differences between the age groups except that the percentage of crashes involving pilot error decreased somewhat with age, being lowest for pilots between 58 and 63. The over-all conclusion was that neither the prevalence nor the pattern of aircraft accidents change significantly as age increases from the 40s to the SOs and early 60s. In another recent study in the United States, a cohort of more than 3 300 commuter and air taxi pilots, who were between 45 and 54 years old in 1987, were followed for eleven years. No age-related increase in crash risk was shown, but the risk of crash decreased by half among pilots with more than 5 000 flying hours at baseline. In Japan, in a study of its 60-63 year-old airline pilots, it was found that none had been involved in an accident during the ten-year study period (1992- 2001) while during the same period 323 accidents including twenty-seven airline accidents had been reported to the authorities.

So what's the current status of these bills? Stuck in committee?

I for one believe the vocal minority (which is the usual process in this kountry) will win on this one and that I have to prepare myself mentally to do this job for 5 more, long years. I'm sure AM hubturning at the age of 64 will feel great. Instead of dying 5 years after retirement, I'll die 1 month before my 65th birthday having never collected a dime of Fred's A fund.

If nothing else the company's negotiations to lower our A fund multiplier should be entertaining.

But at least the furloughed guys will be out 5 more years. Senators and old guys supporting this don't seem to care about them and certainly won't address their needs or even their existence.

Maybe the motto of the pro-change crowd should be, "Got mine! Got yours?"

Latest resources

Back