Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I fLy pLaNeS

Living an Honest Life
I'd like to direct this to anyone with flight instructing experience in the general Seattle area. Basically, I was just wondering what the prospects are, how the weather is, how the pay is, etc. I'd be looking for employment beginning in the summer months this year. I have my eye on several airports to explore, but am just not sure if it's worth the trip yet to check them out. Feel free to PM me. I appreciate your responses! :)

I absolutely love the city and surrounding region! Also, I have a lot of family residing there that I would stay with while I get my feet on the ground after I graduate college.

I instructed for years out at Snohomish Flying Service. At the time, they also had an office at Paine Field. My first choice of jobs was actually Galvin, which if they are still in business, I would recommend.

I was born and raised in Seattle and only moved away because of my current airline, however I don't think Seattle is the best place for someone to gain hours quickly as a flight instructor, especially if your intentions are to eventually get on with an airline.

Summer time is obviously great flying and you the mountains and San Juans to play with as well, (again) however winter months and rain make for very little flying time as an instructor. I probably stayed at Snoflight much longer than I needed to because of the rainy months.

One thing about Snohomish however is that it is within the convergence zone up there where the weather is generally at its worst. If you stay north of Everett, or south of Seattle, you are usually away from the zone, and maybe see a little bit (but not much better) flying weather. In the past, instructors at S50 would get a good amount of flying in during the year (40-60 hours or more a month). Consider instructing at an airport that has an ILS or other approach, it should help keep you from being grounded as often. Maybe check out TIW as well, I think they have a flight school.

Last edited:
milehye said:
My first choice of jobs was actually Galvin, which if they are still in business, I would recommend.

Try this: http://www.galvinflying.com/GalvinFlying.aspx/Pilot%20Training

We just flew in there a few weeks ago. Galvin has really done a nice overhaul of their facilities since I rented planes from them in the mid '90's.

Can't vouch for how they are to work for, but in my dealings with them as a renter, I had no complaints.

Stay away from Snohomish flying Service (S43). I worked there for over a year. from 04 -05 My first thought (during the interview) was that it was a great 141 school. But after 3 days my mind changed. When I was hired. I was given a schedule to come in and "work" Mon and Tues day off and 9 hrs day for the rest of the week. The horrible part is that, lets say you have 2 students that day, you are paid for the ground and flight time, and are FORCED to sit there for the rest of the day answering phones, updating student files, answer any questions anyone has that walked into the flight school, call up the people who came in for an intro flight, and try to get them to sign up. You are doing all these things and are NOT paid for it. If you think that's bad, during the winter you may not have any students for 2-3 days and you are still FORCED to come in and sit. If the owner or manager see that you are sitting around not doing anything, they will tell you to call your students to come in and fly. Even when it's 1/4 mile vis and 100 ovc. If you tell them the weather is bad, they will then tell you to call your student's and do ground. I remember days sitting there 2 days and not getting paid for doing paper work, answer phone etc. Oh and another thing that made me real mad was, requesting a day off. I asked for a day off one time becuase my g/f was getting her wisdom teeth pulled, I had to be the one to take care of her, drive her from the doctor's office and stayed home with her. They would not give me the day off, so I had to get my dad to drive 3 hrs to take care of her, while I sat at work with no students and not getting paid for many things they asked me to do that day. If you like to work for free and get treated like crap, then Snohomish flying Service is a place for you. Most people might think why not just leave when you are not getting paid. all of the CFI tried that and they got called in one by one to the owner's office, and were told "if you did not come in when you are schedule to come in then quit" they still would not paid their CFI when they told them to be there.

Latest resources

Back