Seatbelts in the Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

I understand that seat belts are important while cruise. The rationale given is that in case of rapid depressurization you want to be strapped to your seat. However, in case of depressurization won't the pilots be in equal danger. That being said -- why don't pilots keep the seatbelt "loosely fastened" at all times.

Second point -- I am told that whenever one member from a 2 man cockpit crew leaves -- the person that is still in the cockpit must wear an oxygen mask. When was the last time this rule was implemented?

You can answer your first question by reading part 91.

The answer to your second question is the last time a pilot got up to take a whiz!

What makes you think pilots don't keep their seatbelts fastened at all times? And what makes you think the remaining pilot in the cockpit is not wearing an O2 mask when required?

shon7 said:
The rationale given is that in case of rapid depressurization you want to be strapped to your seat.

The rationale is that turbulence can make you conk your melon on the overhead, and it's hard to fly an airplane while unconscious or with a broken neck.

I've never flown with any crewmember that didn't have their lap belt fastened while in their seat upfront.

The rules are in place for a reason. When your in the big leagues you follow the rules. I remember a story a while back now about the guy in the BA146. The mechanic changed out the forward window and put the wrong size nuts onto the screws. It blew out at altitude and the guy was outside the cockpit hanging onto the wiper and literally by his toes. Got major frostbite etc. Food for thought.

Jim:

It was a BAC-111, and I believe the guy had his lap belt on, without the crotch strap or shoulder harness on. Even with the lap belt on, he damn near left the airplane out the forward window. The purser had him by his belt.

The rule about oxygen is simple.....if one crewmember leaves his station, the other must wear an oxygen mask when above FL250....this rule was almost changed to I believe FL350, but the NTSB had a fit and the FAA withdrew the rule change.
If you are above FL410 in a part 121 operation, I believe one person must wear an oxygen mask at all times.

A350

Last edited:
We just had a captain busted for not putting his mask on... an FAA inspector was on the jumpseat and the fo went out to take a leak. The CA thought the FAA guy counted as a crewmember (even tho' he wasn't in the fo seat) (dumbass) and argued with the fed (strike two).

Somebody told me that the FAA was thinking of changing this rule... something on the order of FL370 instead of FL250 for the mask?

calfo said:
We just had a captain busted for not putting his mask on... an FAA inspector was on the jumpseat and the fo went out to take a leak. The CA thought the FAA guy counted as a crewmember (even tho' he wasn't in the fo seat) (dumbass) and argued with the fed (strike two).

Somebody told me that the FAA was thinking of changing this rule... something on the order of FL370 instead of FL250 for the mask?

I guess this has already changed. In our last FOM update, it stated that at altitudes above FL350, a pilot at the controls must where an oxygen mask if the other pilot is not on the flight deck. This was effective Jan 6, 2006

49W said:
I guess this has already changed. In our last FOM update, it stated that at altitudes above FL350, a pilot at the controls must where an oxygen mask if the other pilot is not on the flight deck. This was effective Jan 6, 2006

I think your FOM change is premature.

FAR 121.333 remains unchanged. And not to be pedantic, but the requirement for the pilot in the seat to wear a mask applies whenever one pilot leaves his "station", not just when he leaves the cockpit. So if you're above 250 and the other guy gets up to open the door, or even to stretch his legs, it's Darth Vader time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back