Scores and stats...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

Are UPT Selectees' AFOQT/PCSM scores generally lower for those chosen by heavy units as opposed to fighter units? How about flight experience? I was just curious.

I don't recall anything from your records being used to determine class ranking. I'm almost certain your ranking is soley based on how you did during your year at UPT, with Phase III weighing more than anything else. (i.e don't piss off your T-38 Flt/CC).

chaw-
I assume you are referring to ANG/AFRES. One would think that on average guard fighter units are alot more picky than the heavies b/c they tend to have alot more people applying. Same thing in the reserves for the few fighter units. Also units like the hurricane hunters, who usually only sponsor 1 or 2 a year, are alot more competitive. You're putting too much emphasis on scores though. As long as your scores are decent (80's) you're money. When they say they're looking for the "whole person" they really do mean it.

It is all academic. I was just thinking about the levels of competition for types of airplanes. It seemed natural that fighter dudes would look better on paper (i.e. scores and stats) than heavy dudes (dudes defined as guys and gals in case some of you get your panties in a twist) where the competition is somewhat less competitive. It was just for discussion's sake. Thanks for the replies though.

P.S. I was talking about AFRES/ANG selection.

I think the scores are all about the same. Every town and every unit has the same population slice to deal with. Dumb dudes just don't grow up near heavy units, and Steve Canyons are not all born near fighter units. Things are so competitive these days that people are applying to every unit they can get an address for. Only a few people who are so bent on being only fighter pilots are limiting themselves to applying to particular units. That IMHO is not a smart move because if you are going ANG/Reserve then you will eventually need some type of full time employment.

Limiting the number of units you apply to, limits the number of chances you have of going to UPT, which in turn drastically reduces the chance to get free turbine time at the expense of John Q. Public. Which means to get an airline job, you are going to pay for a lot more flying in pistons until you get enough hours to get some type of paying job that still may not involve turbine powered, kerosene burning, noise makers that shoot fire out the back end to produce thrust.

Do the best you can on those tests, learn as much as you can about aviation, fly as much as you can afford, be yourself, the whole person concept really is the key with ANG/AFRES units.

Go Guard over Reserve if you get lucky enough to choose. The Guard for the most part has better education benefits available especially for enlisted, but there are some good deals for officers as well. It varies state by state, so do your homework. You could go to UPT, get a free no cost to you ANG GI Bill. I used mine to do my CFI after UPT and still had money left over, so after 9/11, I used the rest on a type rating.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back