RJs in the Caribbean

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cmdr Taggart

Does any airline operate RJs in the Caribbean? I know eagle operates quite a few ATRs throughout the area, I am just curious why there are no RJs (that I know of) flying in the Caribbean. It seems like it would be a good market down there.

Well, we just got Jepps for Nassau, and Freeport, but I'm not sure that qualifies as the Carribean.

Last edited:
If you saw the size of the runways and the size of the bags those folks pack down there you'd understand the lack of RJ's

At least at Delta, mainline pretty much covers the good islands with big runways. Eagle flew into a lot of under 5,000' strips and a few that were less than 4,000'. I would be surprised to see many RJs south and east of San Jaun (Bahamas excluded).

Does anyone know if Liat or Carib Star have RJ's?

Last edited:
Air Caraibes and Bonaire Excel are ERJ operators in the Caribbean. Air Caraibes has two...one in their own colors and one in Air France colors. Bonaire is a new startup from KLM...I think they're supposed to start up soon.

Hard to really make the rev. you need by passenger load carring all the bags american vactioners carry on a vacation. Not to metion on the way back after all the souviener shopping. Maint. suport in an issue with any aircraft once it gets on the ground.
Runway conditions really suck there to. No radar enviroment, limited percion approaches, and if you can't get in because of weather it's back to MIA. a lot of small aircraft flying around with no transponders. A crazy place to fly in to with a heavy fast plane.

Show stopper

Well, the reason we, Express Jet, do not fly more into the Caribbean is that we are limited to 50 NM's offshore since we can't carry liferafts in the RJ. Thus, all we can do is Nassau which is less than 100 NM's offshore. So it's an RJ limitation but not an ATR or larger problem.

Latest resources

Back