Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

i'mbatman

Thunderbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird
Hi everyone. Hopefully everyone can give me a little advice. In a few months I will be graduating college and I will be flight instructing full time. I have been doing a bit of instructing while taking classes. When I graduate I will have roughly 750/70. I understand I have practically no shot at getting on with a regional since my dad isn't cheif pilot at one. My question is do I wait to get minimums or do I start sending resumes to regionals now? My only concern is that right now it seems regionals are hiring purely for growth and by the time I have the competative flight times most of the regionals that are recieving new planes will have recieved them and already filled up all their seats. Obviously whatever hapens, happens but do you think I should start getting a track record at some of these places now or hope that maybe 1-1.5 years from now they are still hiring and then start.

Also, do you think it would be worth it to go to the Air Inc, thing in DC coming up to network even with the times I have? I would appreciate an honest answer and not "save you money for flight time". Just want to know if the contacts and info I woud recieve would benefit me at this stage of the game.

Thank you so much everyone for so much help!
I'm Batman

Sending resumes and Kit Darby garbage

There's probably no harm in send resumes to the regionals now, but you might be better served by waiting until you build a few more hours. The usual rule of thumb is to start sending stuff as you approach the mins, but it may not hurt if you start a little sooner (but not much sooner). Maybe a good time might be when you have a good, round number of multi, something like 200. I say 200 because I think it will take at least 500 of multi to be competitive for the commuters.

Frankly, I wouldn't give any Kit Darby-sponsered entity a quarter. They're barely worth a quarter. Moreover, it's too soon for you to be trying to network with airline H.R. You need to make contacts with people who can set you up with a gig(s) that can get you multi time. Kit won't do a h-ll of a lot for you in that regard.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your efforts.

You might seriously consider Ameriflight or Airnet after you build up to 1000 hours or so. They require 1200 total time but often have intern programs to get you in there if you are close. Flying freight for AMF was probably the best thing I did in my flying career. I really learned how to fly IFR and it helped get me interviews at several regionals. Multiengine time - you need it.

I wouldn't bother with Air Inc at this point given your flight time. But once you get the minimums it can be a faster track to an interview - it worked for me.

Good luck - sounds like you have the right attitude. Remember that a lot of people you are competing with might be less motivated which is a big part of the equation.

Latest resources

Back