Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

iflyjets4food

R.O.N. at home
How would you represent two separate jobs with the same company? Specifically, I am being promoted from Flight Instructor to Charter Pilot. Would you list it as two separate jobs or just list the company and the charter job, with the flight instruction noted in a bullet below? Thanks.

I'd disagree with the previous posting. I have used the following example and it worked for me. The details have been changed but you get the idea.

12/98 - Present. Airline Name, City, St. Line Check Airman/Captain. Scheduled passenger service under FAR Part 121 in Canadair Regional Jets (200/700 series). Line Check Airman, IOE Captain in Candair Regional Jets. Former Simulator Instructor in the Embraer Brasillia. Familiar with Collins 4200 FMS, EICAS and Collins-84 EFIS systems.

This entry worked on my resume. It must have worked because I am in the pool! :)

I'll second Bustinmin's response.

Avoid making your résumé appear too "busy."

If your prospective future employer is pulling your résumé from a stack of résumé’s, you only have a split second on the chopping block. If your résumé is visually cluttered, it has a better chance of being passed over.

I would list the employer only once and then show each progressive job title under that employer (with the highest position achieved, listed first).

The only exception would be, if you're trying to "pad" the résumé.

Yeah...but what if you worked for that employer once in 93-97 then 99-00 and then again in 05-06?? How would you put that on the resume? I've got them as seperate entries as I worked elsewhere inbetween times...

Eric

Lostdog65 said:
Yeah...but what if you worked for that employer once in 93-97 then 99-00 and then again in 05-06?? How would you put that on the resume? I've got them as seperate entries as I worked elsewhere inbetween times...

Eric

This would also be a question for me. This company I work at is one I worked at before as well. I held a job in between times here though.

"See number one above."

Seriously, in my opinion, the prime purpose of a résumé is to make you look as good as possible as opposed to making you look as sincere as possible.

I'm not saying that honesty and sincerity aren't valuable attributes but get the employers attention with a strong résumé first, then once you start the actual interview process; you'll have your opportunity to defend all of your strong virtues.

Also, from my personal experience, I might see a history of inconsistency as an eye opener (in the negative sense). Again, the typical résumé is examined for only a few seconds. If, on the surface, it appears that a person has left a job and then returned to the same job some time later (no matter how valid the circumstances), I might be concerned about the person's motivation and ethics. I might also be concerned about the persons ability and job performance; "Why did this person retreat back to the original job?"

This person would fall into the same category as someone who lists six different employers with each spanning only one to two years.

As a potential employer, I would be concerned that a person (in either one of the above mentioned scenarios) would jump ship at the first opportunity.

I would apply the same rules (as mentioned in the earlier post). List the employer once and then two sets of employment dates.

Thanks for the tip Uncle Sparky.

When I was doing the hiring at my job in 99, I mainly looked at flight time and flight experience. I was usually hiring guys that were either in their first or second flight instructing job.

My goal is not a beginning freight job...I'm looking more towards a more permanent position (as perm as it gets in aviation! ;) ) So I appreciate the help in making myself more presentable.

Eric

Another question,

How are people handling this new SIC type on their ticket now, as far as the resume goes

Technically it is a type but it does have the SIC restriction on it and it would be nice to put in my type ratings line the 747.

Latest resources

Back