Resume for a newly cert. commercial pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

verticalspeed

Anybody have any advice on what to put on a resume for a Comm pilot with 560hrs who does not have any prior aviation related employment? Maybe someone would be kind enough to send me a model of one?

Thanks,
[email protected]

Last edited:
I put on the 6 years I spent working in the paper mills, 4 years of working in security, the year or so spent working at the ice cream novelty manufacturing place and the three months working at this other manufacturing place, the two years spent getting an associate degree and of course the four years in the navy.

Just put on it that you'll fly anything for any wage, regardless of safety. You might get a job towing banners or traffic watch.

I showed my girlfriend the plane I flew traffic watch in once. She cringed and then hit my arm and asked my why I showed her that peice of sh--. Then she really started worrying.

The point of my post is to tell you that the only people that will hire you before you reach 1000 hours are going to exploit you and push you into flying in planes/wx that you're not comfortable with. At least in most cases. Be wary.

Best advice:

Be able to put on the resume, "currently training for CFI, expected completion date ____________."

labbats said:
Just put on it that you'll fly anything for any wage, regardless of safety. You might get a job towing banners or traffic watch.

I showed my girlfriend the plane I flew traffic watch in once. She cringed and then hit my arm and asked my why I showed her that peice of sh--. Then she really started worrying.

The point of my post is to tell you that the only people that will hire you before you reach 1000 hours are going to exploit you and push you into flying in planes/wx that you're not comfortable with. At least in most cases. Be wary.

He's right! get ready for some bullsh1t!

PM resume writer if you need any professional help or do a search here. Kathy does a great job!

Check out King Airelines (yeah, it's spelled stupid) but they hire low timers. All those little places have a lot of trash talk circulating about them, but it's really not that bad.

CFI - Just Do It

onthebeach said:
Best advice:

Be able to put on the resume, "currently training for CFI, expected completion date ____________."

Gets my vote too. Being a CFI will definitely help with getting the next job you want to have...

onthebeach said:
Best advice:

I'll second that position. Personally, when I'm looking to hire someone, the fact that the candidate has either held or holds a CFI certificate is a big plus for me. I don't really care how much they used it - the fact that they were able to successfully jump through all of the hoops is enough. (In fact, based of the theory that there's a big difference between 1000 hours of experience and one hour of experience repeated 1000 times, I tend to start discounting dual given after 1000 hours or so.)

It wasn't always so. I was pretty much in the same position that VerticalSpeed was in - I had a little over 500 hours TT and got a job flying Grand Canyon air tours out of Las Vegas. I thought that somehow I had "dodged a bullet" by being able to go directly into charter flying after I got my commercial and instrument rating. I was wrong. It wasn't until I had moved on to bigger and better things that I got my initial CFI. (I was back in school full-time and I wanted to keep my hand in flying until I finished up my degree.) When I finally got my CFI I had an ATP and over 3,000 hours.

I've said this before on this and other forums: In any teaching situation, it's always the teacher who learns the most. The same thing applies doubly in aviation. Getting your CFI and actively instructing for a while will teach you things about flying that you will only learn through instructing. I have learned a lot a flight instructor and to this day the lessons are very valuable and useful.

'Sled

kevdog said:
PM resume writer if you need any professional help or do a search here. Kathy does a great job!
There ya go! :D

Latest resources

Back