• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Resume/cover letter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But I do have one huge suggestion for cover letters: Make sure you address the cover letter to the proper person said:
As someone who has also been on both sides of the table, including international (so I also have the cultural perspective as well), I have some comments to ad.

Just curious, what would you suggest if the candidate is applying to one of those "blind" ads, where even the name of the company is withheld? I don't think that necessarily means you are shotgunning.

If no name, position, or address is given, then what other option do you have other than "Attn: Chief Pilot" and "Dear Sir"? This is not at all rare, especially with corporate positions. Should a well-qualified candidate not apply just because a company chooses not to publicize who or what they are?

Many people forget that an interview and the means of getting there are supposed to be a two-way street. You are just as much checking out the company as they are seeing if you are a fit. And that is one of the biggest problems: the "us" and "them" mentality. The whole process would be a much more pleasant experience (for both sides) if each were more cognizant and respectful of each others needs and more open in their hiring etiquette. How a company handles the hiring process and later, treats their employees is the kind of thing that makes one company stand out from the rest.

While I can understand that a company may be besieged by thousands of resumes, most of whom don't even meet the basic requirements, ads which feel the need to put NO PHONE CALLS, NO FAX, NO EMAILS are actually shooting themselves in the foot. There are other ways of getting the message out and the wording of the ad says volumes about the type of company.

On another note, candidates are forever being coached about spell-checking their correspondence or at least having it proof-read. You would be amazed at the volume of mispelled or grammatically incorrect ads on some aviation job websites! Like I said, it really is a two-way street.......or should be.

My comments are just to balance the equation and dynamics of the hiring process as most you ever hear about is what the candidate should or should not do. Rarely is there anything mentioned about what a company ought to do.

b757driver said:
My comments are just to balance the equation and dynamics of the hiring process as most you ever hear about is what the candidate should or should not do. Rarely is there anything mentioned about what a company ought to do.

While I might agree with your comments, unfortunately the company is the one in control. They control the resume submission process, whether they interview a candidate and who they decide to hire. It is just part of the game and has been for decades. As my dad always tells me, "He who has the gold makes the rules." The best thing a candidate can do is play the game well, following all the rules.

When a company truly has a bad reputation, it gets around. The people who do their research know which companies stink and avoid them. I was just telling one of my clients today (non-aviation) about a company they might want to avoid because I have had several clients from that company and have first-hand accounts of what goes on there. If it were just one client, I might question his/her story. But when I have five clients from the same company tell me about the antics, then it cannot just be the clients.

The same advice applies to aviation. Do your research and know what you are getting into with that company. It is difficult when there is a blind ad to know what company it is, so you cannot always do research.

Just my thoughts...

b757,

You make two very valid points. The "two-way street" is a very important concept since individual company/corporate cultures can vary greatly esp. when you factor in the international perspective. Secondly, thank you for reminding me about the "blind ads" that may not list a specific contact name. So to answer your question, No, I would not consider this shot-gunning, as the candidate has no other choice than to use a generic greeting.
I guess I was just venting a little frustration over some of the resumes/cover letters we have been receiving lately.

Thanks for your insights and have a good weekend,

Merc

Last edited:
Resume Writer said:
Ok, let me clarify what I mean by "standing out." I compose hundreds of resumes every year for pilots. That same type of format is what is always sent to me by my clients as what they have put together. They usually come to me because they are not getting results. When I redo their resume, the results are immediate.

Now, I am not saying that the other resume will not work. I am sure it has for thousands of pilots. But my job is to get my clients in the door and my results are excellent. I cannot think of one pilot who has ever come back to me because they have not received interviews in more than 19 years in business.

What people think is going to "stand out" in the mind of a hiring manager is vastly different that what the hiring manager is really thinking. I write resumes for high-level executives. I have had recruiters call me when they have seen the resumes that clients have brought in, which were prepared by me. They are so impressed and I now write resumes for clients of more than 25 executive recruiters across the country. These are 6-7 figure jobs these people are going after, so the recruiters want the best possible presentation because they make their money based upon their candidates getting hired by the companies.

I have also been conducting a great deal of interview prep for these executives. As one recruiter wrote to me, "You get to the point quickly with my clients and address their specific challenges in a way that makes me feel comfortable sending them on the interview, knowing they are prepared to put their best attributes on the table. " That, to me, speaks volumes.

Anyway, you are right. There is more than one way to skin a cat. But when the tools used to skin that cat are proven, then why would you want to try any other tools? :)

So What do you think of my resume times are a bit off as it has not been updated in a few weeks!

http://www.aircraftdelivery.net/resume/Steve_L_Rhine_Resume.pdf

Mercury said:
b757,

You make two very valid points. The "two-way street" is a very important concept since individual company/corporate cultures can vary greatly esp. when you factor in the international perspective. Secondly, thank you for reminding me about the "blind ads" that may not list a specific contact name. So to answer your question, No, I would not consider this shot-gunning, as the candidate has no other choice than to use a generic greeting.
I guess I was just venting a little frustration over some of the resumes/cover letters we have been receiving lately.

Thanks for your insights and have a good weekend,

Merc

Merc,

You're welcome! It's nice being able to share such important and useful info. Sometimes we get bogged down with all the detail and rhetoric and we ALL get frustrated from time to time.

Have a nice day, yourself.

Latest resources

Back