Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Wondering if anyone on the board has experience with going from a Regional flying a E145/140/135 to going to a company like Gemini, Polar or Atlas and flying the heavy iron. Has it been done? How are regional pilots viewed? Do these companies hire pilots without widebody time? Thanks Steve

It happens from time to time but the bigger question is why would you? Unless you're at a crappy regional and you like being away from home a lot it doesn't seem like the best move especially if you have good seniority where you are.

A lot of those 747 CA's make less or the same as an RJ CPT at a good regional. No Thanks.

I know a guy who left ASA as a CRJ FO a few years back who is now an Atlas 747-400 Captain. He loves the flying and has flown all over the world. Two problems though: Atlas is a bit shakey at the moment financially (uncertain future), and the schedules can be very difficult with 20+ days away from home PER MONTH. You tend to be exhausted constantly...

I think if you have PIC experience in an RJ you would be viewed favorably... Having experience in a C-17, KC-10 or C-141 seems to be preferred though...

Good luck

I Did It

I flew Jetstreams for ACA for 3 years before being hired by Gemini in 2000. Before flying the DC10 as a FO, the biggest thing I'd ever flown was a Jetstream 41, and I'd never flown a jet. Training was no problem - certainly no harder than any other training I'd previously done. I had a strong recommendation from a very influential pilot there which helped me get hired. There are a few others there with only commuter backgrounds, but they are few and far between - most new hires had extensive heavy or military time.

I left ACA for Gemini as they offered me an opportunity to fly DC10s all over the world - something I'd been dreaming about since I was a kid, and although I've since moved on to a more stable airline, the decision to go to Gemini was one of the best I have ever made. Schedules were tough at times - plan on doing 16 day trips, but then also plan on 15 days off at home in a row every month (you can easily work the first half of one month followed by the second half of the next and have a month off without losing any pay). Home basing means no commuting / jumpseating - you will be provided with a positive space ticket to and from home for every trip. If you like to travel, see the world and have long (3+ days) layovers in 5 star hotels in fascinating cities in Asia, South America, Africa and Europe, then go for it.

DC10,

You're talking about EXACTLY what I want. To travel the world in a great aircraft like the DC10 or B747. I really hope I make it there someday. Thanks again for all the replies and fly safe. Steve

I did it too - ASA to Gemini in 1999.

Biggest adventure of my life, and I'm so glad I did it. I flew Africa, India, Europe, far east, and South America. Never could hold Australia.

Went in to my Fedex interview with an 11x17 world map with circles on all the foreign cities I'd operated into. Don't know if it helped, but I got the job.

Sure sounds like a lot of fun! But how does the family react to your 2 week trips? Kinda rough I'd say.

Count me in. Went from a crappy commuter to Atlas, 20 months later I was 747 captain. That in turn opend up the wide world of lucrative contract flying. If you have the chance, go for it. You will get to fly with some truly professionals that will help you to open your eyes to aspects of flying you never thought of before.

14 days is not so bad - 18 was too much.

Don't forget, I was home for the other half of the month.

Besides, commuting is a bear, even if you have a ticket nowadays. Just doing it once a month is nice.

My wife and I emailed every day, no matter where I was. You gotta have a pretty independent companion.

Latest resources

Back