Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hawker1

"Great Balls of Fire"
In this month's issue of Flying magazine, there is an article entitled "No More Stepping Stone." This article discusses the new things that the RJ airlines have upgraded, and things are looking better all the time.

It's my understanding that most new pilots use the regional airlines to build tiime and experience. This article talks about the aspects of the RJ industry that has being improved. Things like better pay, work rules, & retirement. Comair Company went on strike and in doing so have made a new contract that would better the lifestyle of RJ pilots.

The following is a paragraph from the article:

"First year pay at Comair is now around $20,000, but the second year pay is over $35,000, and with per diem, a little overtime, and some extra work, can exceed $40,000 on the 50-seat CRJ. For Captains, the top pay in the 50-seater used be a shade under $75,000. Under the new contract, the same captain immediately makes over $90,000 flying the 50-seater, and on the CRJ-70, the pay exceeds $100,000. By the end of the contract in 2005, the senior captains in the 50-seater will make $100,000, and the 70-seat captains will make almost $120,000 in base pay."

Retirement plans are also becoming a concern of improvement. Although they still aren't as good as the majors, the 401 (k) plan is used as well as the regional companies contributing a percentage of the employee's salary into their account.

I posted this to show that there is hope for the new comers (sp?).
Looks like things can only get better with time. Anyone who has there .02 cents is wanted. Thanks.

Slow and steady as she goes. A Regional job may never equal the pay heights of a Major, but I'd rather work as a senior Captain at Comair, ASA or Skywest than United right now!

I was in the airport bathroom the other day, and a passenger said to me, "hey, you like flying that CJ?" I didn't correct him (CRJ) but said it was great. Then he said, "Good plane to build some time in, huh?" I thought that was offensive, but that's just me. I wonder if he was a pilot?

- Richard -
You say you're a Sr. Captain at Comair? That's cool. How long did it take for you to get there? Thanks.

Buildin time yeah right....

to add to skydiverdriver's post I just love when some pindick mainline guywith his shiny F-4 tie tac, shoves his head in our cockpit asking for the JS and makes small talk like "you guys buildin time to move up" or the ever classic "when you guys goin to transition to the RJ".

I look over at the 55 year old grey haired Capt I'm flying w/ who been here since 1970 and stopped logging years ago at 25000 hours and he looks at me w/ 2 types, 5500+tt and have been flying since I was 14 and we'er just like, "yeah were buildin time", can we get an app., dickface, get in the back shut your hole and sit down.

O BTW to the American guy who handed me his ID with a blue and yellow SCOPE badge on it the other day WTF, you should know better, if we didn't give you a ride about 2 times per week for the last 2 years in and out of LGA you'd be hoffin in and out of Chicago to get to work. Show a little thanks man.

I could go on and on......

Buildin time yeah right....Payin the bills and keepin this airline afloat is more like it buddy.

Last edited:
Yeah,
I always wonder about those big scope badges. Who are they for, exactly? Does he wear it to impress his buddies at his own airline that he thinks the same way many of them do, or does he wear it to try to pick a fight with anyone who thinks differently? I guess I never will, but I just don't see why they wear those things, especially while jumpseating on another airline.

I made a badge to wear under mine that says "Listerine"

It gets laughs, especially on mainline DAL.

But honestly, I would leave ASA for SWA in a heartbeat. People tell me that it is the same job that I am doing now. True, but I will have 16 days off a month, making 3-4 times more, and flying larger planes.

But hey....it is the same job. My advice is simple to them. Don't apply. I dont care...less competition.

Shroth

Latest resources

Back