Realistic NJA contract projection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JTrain

I'm getting furloughed from Independence in the next couple months and am seriously contemplating tossing my hat in the ring at NJA. I have been lurking on this board the last couple months enjoying you guys debate the pros/cons of each frac. I am just curious - what is a realistic estimate of what the NJA contract will be like, and when will it be ratified. Pay, quality of life issues, schedule (7/7, flex, etc), 401k, etc... Will gateway cities be expanded to similar to FLOPS where you can basically live anywhere with airline service? I am aware that if I go there, I won't be upgrading for years.....but are there more realistic pros/cons I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance for any/all insights

JTrain

Last edited:
Maybe

1-tacan-rule

can answer your questions, he seems to know quite a bit about NJA.

Here is my opinion.....

We really don't know what will happen until negotiations resume in February. We have a new MEC and a separate negotiation committee. Check back in a month or so, you'll either see progress or fireworks.

I'm getting furloughed from Independence in the next couple months and am seriously contemplating tossing my hat in the ring at NJA.

I'm probably misunderstanding the way you use that saying.
I understood "tossing your hat in the ring" to mean, you've resisted as much as you could, but gave up and decided to apply.

jppt2000 said:
I'm getting furloughed from Independence in the next couple months and am seriously contemplating tossing my hat in the ring at NJA.

I'm probably misunderstanding the way you use that saying.
I understood "tossing your hat in the ring" to mean, you've resisted as much as you could, but gave up and decided to apply.

Maybe a poor choice of phraseology - hope you can overlook me on that. Applying might have been more appropriate. Yes, I am getting furloughed from IDE in May. From talking with various other IDEers as well as the occasional NetJets guys I see in the terminals, I think it is realistic with my total time/experience to get an interview. The only thing I resisted in applying to NetJets is getting the ATP; was something I thought I'd get for free here when I upgraded at IDE, but after 4.5years of slinging gear I'm going out the door soon and maybe its time to spend a bit more $$$ on my career. Probably should've banged out the ATP sooner, I might add.

JTrain,

Basically, what Live4flying said. I just want to add that if you decide to come to NJA make sure you have seen our CURRENT contract and that you can survive on those wages. I tend to be an optimist, but I think it could be AT LEAST another year before we have something to vote on. I hope I'm wrong.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

realityman said:
JTrain,

Basically, what Live4flying said. I just want to add that if you decide to come to NJA make sure you have seen our CURRENT contract and that you can survive on those wages. I tend to be an optimist, but I think it could be AT LEAST another year before we have something to vote on. I hope I'm wrong.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Thats a great way to put it. I've seen your pay scales + work rules, and I agree - they're shockingly low for the type of flying you folks do. That being said, from talking to NJA folks, your union seems quite determined to raise the bar, hopefully things will work out for the best for you guys in the next year.

JTrain

Need to understand the fractional lifestyle first...

JTrain said:
Thats a great way to put it. I've seen your pay scales+work rules, and I agree - they're shockingly low for the type offlyingyou folks do. That being said, from talking to NJA folks, yourunionseems quite determined to raise the bar, hopefully things willwork outfor the best for you guys in the next year.

JTrain

I think you and a lot of the other soon-to-be furloughees needtoseriously look at the fractional lifestyle and reassess yourultimatelong-term goals (i.e., flying for SWA, JetBlue orNJAlong-term).

I am not a fractional pilot but I have friends at each of themainfractionals. My NJA buddies enjoy what they do but admit thattheinitial low salaries and the "shock" of not having a firm scheduleorlist of destinations or loading bags for wealthy snobs (not allarelike that) can be difficult at first. However, for them,routevariety and flying high performance aircraft like the Citation Xarebig plusses despite the low pay. Let's hope a new contractisnegotiated as soon as possible to reflect the level of experienceandprofessionalism these pilots provide.

By the way, with your DornierJet experience, transition to theCitationX wouldn't be that difficult - both share the Primus 2000right? Good luck and try to thoroughly explore the "fractionallifestyle"before making the leap...

Sorry - but my keys appear to be sticking or I am having a computer problem (my words are sticking together)...

What the hell are you waiting for? As soon as you heard that you're getting furloughed, you should have gotten the ATP! You're a fool if you're 'contemplating' getting it.

To answer your question on NJA. I personally expect the TA to be ratified sometime in the summer, probably June or July. I used to joke with fellow pilots about two years ago that the contract won't be done till June 2005, funny how now I'm hoping for June!

If you apply now, maybe you'll get an interview in March, then maybe a class date in June. So your timing should be pretty good. And oh yeh, don't expect to fly the Citation X. You'll probably be in the Diamond/Beechjet/Hawker 400XP. Its for the needs of the company.

Last edited:
I am sure the gentlman had his reasons for waiting to accomplish the ATP rating. No need to beat him about the head and shoulders.

Mid summer might be a bit on the bright side of things given the events of the recent past. The NJA management team has proven a cunning and crafty bunch co-opting the last MEC and the leadership of the Great and Powerful Local 747.

Question: I understand there is, perhaps, a legal action that would cause NJI / NJA to combine as a single carrier. Any idea how the management team may attempt to circumvent the process and prevent such an occurance?

I've heard that people are getting interviews without the ATP, provided they have an ATP checkride scheduled and the interview is scheduled after that.

Get the ATP. Good luck.

ps: it'd be better to be hired before the new contract.

Latest resources

Back