• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Read This BS. Commie Germans!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsa...63426_RTRUKOC_0_US-GERMANY-AIRPORT.xml&rpc=22

BERLIN (Reuters) - Six German airline passengers who said they were being held against their will on an aircraft stuck on the runway for hours during a snowstorm have filed "false imprisonment" charges, German police said Saturday.
The passengers filed charges against the pilot of a British Airways Berlin-London flight that sat on the runway for seven hours before it could take off, a federal police spokesman said.
Passengers boarded the plane at Berlin's Tegel airport at 7 a.m. Thursday, but snow and ice delayed their takeoff. At 11:30 a.m. a man named Ingo Q. called a police emergency hotline on his cell phone and said he felt as if he was being "held hostage," the tabloid Bild reported Saturday.
Police boarded the plane and Ingo Q. ran forward and screamed "I want to get out of here." But only three people who only had hand luggage were allowed to leave the plane.
Shortly after noon, Ingo Q told police again that he wanted to leave the aircraft, still waiting on the snow-covered runway. Ingo, his wife and another couple from Biesdorf near Berlin were allowed off the plane at 12:48 p.m., and it finally took off at 2:36 p.m., seven hours late, Bild said.
The Berlin police spokesman said it was an unusual incident. "The plane stood there for a long time ... It's difficult to say whether the passengers are allowed off or not. It's something they have to work out with the captain."

Should have moved them to stowage class in a pet carrier so they could ride with luggage.

Guitar rocker said:
Typical Germans.

Right. Last I've checked suing or complaining is not associated with the German so I am not sure how this was typical. Why is it a crime when someone is trying to get off of a super luxury and extremely confy airplane when it is parking in a snowstorm for several hours. What is the limit? After how many hours should one be able to get off? 8, 12, 24, 36.... 1-2 days? That flight should have not been longer than 1:45h. Some people might have needs that most of us don't have. Some people are claustrofobic, some are afraid of flying, some have meetings to catch. I bet for many there was no point to depart anymore. Airplanes are means of transportation, if it isn't going anywhere there is no point sitting in one unless you are getting paid for it. I would much rather be in a hotel room.

I certainly understand the logistical problem but 4.5h late on a 2h long flight is not a normal delay if you have to be inside an airplane. In today's climate people do lose it. I don't think the guy will have a case, but it brings up an interesting question: What is an acceptable wait before one should be able to get off?

From follow up stories, which I can't find on google anymore, the airport was packed, the gates were full, they couldn't guarantee people would get off the plane safely on air stairs.

Latest resources

Back