• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

radar service terminated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everyone responded with the idea that you were IFR.
And everyone is correct if that is your premise. Terminating radar service is not canceling IFR - only you can do that. There are many instances when ATC will terminate radar service while on IFR clearance and they do not want a txpdr code change. They will tell you when and/or if they want a change.

However, I took your question to be when you are vfr and using radar service and they say radar terminated. Sometimes they do that without following up with the "squawk 1200". Sometimes they do. When they don't add the "squawk 1200", I would suggest you ask. I get that a lot going into a non-towered airport. If you are approaching a traffic pattern and cannot get the asking question in, don't worry - I would stay on assigned code until landing, but I don't think it matters in this case. Staying enroute is different. They may be coordinating with another facility and id'ing you with the assigned code. Best to ask.

You took my question correctly, I should have specified that I was not IFR. I wouldn't change my xponder code if I was still IFR and they said radar service terminated. I was thinking more on the lines of cancelling IFR or VFR flight following. Sometime I think I'll tell ATC that I'm cancelling VFR just to see what they say...

You took my question correctly, I should have specified that I was not IFR. I wouldn't change my xponder code if I was still IFR and they said radar service terminated. I was thinking more on the lines of cancelling IFR or VFR flight following. Sometime I think I'll tell ATC that I'm cancelling VFR just to see what they say...
I can't tell if you are being tongue-in cheek ("cancel VFR") or talking about a fairly normal thing to do ("cancel Flight Following").

Latest resources

Back