R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nimtz

The more and more things I read lately, the more I worry that those out pursing this profession have low respect for what they are worth. Why would you go run over to fly for Freedom? Why would you accept a POS TA like that over at Mesa? Why even work for an airline at all? If your that hard up for a flying job have you ever thought of maybe looking outside the regional airlines. Do you not realize that you are doing exceedingly high damage to your own future earnings potential?

Think about it, I made about 24K last year as a regional FO. I know for a fact that if I would of stuck around my local area with my family, I could of found a corporate job paying more then 24K while also putting me home alot more. If you are competitive for an airline right now then there are many corporate/135 jobs you could easily sign on to. I know that these jobs are out there and available for people if you purse them. People leave corporate jobs alot more frequently then the airlines, so there is always velocity in that labor market.

What is the huge benefit in working for a regional? It ain't the compensation folks, at least not until some of us get the chance to fix it. Just try living on 24K a year in New York or Boston with a wife and kid. Oh you want to commute to save money, well go ahead add that stress level to your life and plan on losing 2-3 of your 12 days off a month. What do you think the travel privileges seal the deal? Yeah they are nice for about the first six months, but then you get bumped off 6 flights in London and have to explain to your significant other why she won't be making it to work tommorow or even possibly the day after. Do you think the job security is just plain better? Tell that do the guys laid off from US Air with 16 years of service. Is it the ego of flying an airliner? Well then just listen to the comments from your passengers next time they board your cabin class airliner. "Oh I thought this was going to be a big jet." "I always hit my head on the ceilings of these d*mn things." "Why do I always get stuck with these sh*tty puddle jumpers?"

So again I ask why do you want to work for an regional airline? I went to go work for one because I thought at the time I would throw in a year or two of paying my dues and with alot of effort positive changes to my profession would be made. Well I learned real quickly that management thinks I was positively happy just to be flying a jet so they just expected me to make do with what they offered. I quickly realize I was not simply happy just because 'I loved to fly.' No matter how much you love your job, at the end of the day it is still your job. I also noticed that every coworker shared my opinon that something had to be done about our pay and work rules since all the money my company was making went right into the pockets of the vp's. Well that's when we started to become more active in our union in order to let management know that we deserve higher pay then the TSA security dude getting coffee every five minutes. So, finally the contract came up for renewal and the battle begun. We are still talking with managment, but more and more our efforts are being thrwarted by the actions of others. Thanks to Comair for starting the battle and showing the suits our generation won't be afraid to walk. Now the bar is passed to the next group, ie Expressjet, ASA, and Mesa. Don't anybody dare drop it.

Now it seems that many people have the mentality that since they love to fly and have to feed their family, then they must get an airline job even if it severely undercuts their value as a professional. Hey your right you have to pay the bills, but have you considered EVERYTHING else before you accepted a job like Freedom. Look around you might find a better flying job outside the airlines and not have to suffer the frustration of moving your family every 12 months, because you can hold a better line at the new domicile. If you didn't look around then you made yourself the equivalent of a GM worker in Leon, Mexico; getting paid pesos for a job that deserves dollars. You've also served to ruin our profession by saying to management "I'll do whatever you want, just keep me flying." Well that sure sounds like prostitiution to me.

I'm no rabid union nazi, but I do know that at my level of this profession the union is the only organized group that agrees with my stance and seeks to change it. I know that I chose this job to make a living, not to put a grin on my face whether I'm stuck in a 6 hour ground stop or getting cleared for a visual 30 miles out on a calm night. As the next generation of airline pilots, the regional guys have to do our part to push up the benefits of this job or we are doomed to live pay-check to pay-check the rest of our careers.

Management will have many tactics to stop us along the way. Freedom Air is the most blatant seen yet. Most of you mainline pilots went through the same thing with B-scale attacks in the 80's. Fortunately you fought them off by either saying no or getting it negotiated away. Our group faces the same problem today, except we have no job at a major as a security blanket. Therefore, the attitude stays the same. There will be no sympathy nor understanding for someone who has to taken a job at Freedom or any other management alter-ego that serves to destroy our credibility as a trade. As said before, since the individual has no regard for his/her future as an airline pilot, then they would of been better off in the right seat of a citation! We are professionals, not overjoyed kids in a big toy. Check yourself before you wreck yourself and respect yourself!

--- I just flew a trip with a guy who is so fed-up with the direction of this profession that if our contract is not up to expectations he is bailing for a new line of work. That's what led me to ramble on like this, because I hate to lose good professionals due to the fact that some of pilots have no respect for themselves.

Last edited:
Think about it, I made about 24K last year as a regional FO.

I find it funny that you are telling people not to accept less when in the last year or two you did just that! When you signed on at Coex did you know the pay? Why then did YOU sell out all the regional pilots that were already working at that time? Maybe you should have held out for the top paying regional's or taken that 135 job. Under your theory, wouldn't that have helped the pilots at Coex get higher pay? I can't stand hypocrites. -Bean

Dear Nimtz,

I thought your post was excellent. You brought up some great points on how our profession is settling for less than they are worth. I was just talking to my captain the other day about this exact problem and there are so many contributing factors. Before 9/11 the industry was stuck in a bind due to a fact we were short of pilots, so short that almost every regional was creating programs with Universities/Flying Programs to bring in applicants with 250-500 TT as long as they met certain prereqs. Suddenly, having 1000 TT and 200 multi met the qualifications and upgrade only ran a year and a half to two years, get some PIC 121 time, and you were getting competitive for the majors. So, take a person who has low time and put them in an ATR/Saab/Beech 1900/ERJ/CRJ and make them think they only have to live on those wages and fly that equipment for three to five years max---that is how we got ourselves in this predicament. Certain Airlines did not care where your PIC came from, such as American, and others weighted it heavily on the 121 side, like United. Sure, you could eventually get the interview, but with 121 it was going to be faster. So, I can see why a good amount of people went for the 121 time, it was the thing to do at the moment. I went the airline route with only over 1100 TT after advice from some mentors that had been in the industry for years. While it has been a wild ride with switching airlines just nine months ago, I would have to say that long term I am very happy where I am at. I have many friends that went the corporate/135 route and some of them are happy, some are not. Some make good money, some do not. Some have moderate job stability, some do not. I would say that making that decision to go airline vs. corp/135 is a very personal one with more than just money being at stake. If you want to make decent moeny, there are certain regionals that you can go to, and true, the first year and maybe even second year pay will be less than what you are worth. However, stability is something else to be considered. I would agree that the regionals might not be the most stable in these hard economic times, however, corp and 135 is not the most stable either. Even in good times, sometimes companies might not meet financial goals and the first thing to go is the coporate jet fleet. Sometimes they hire others and make them captains sooner because they like them more, sometimes you have to be away from your family for two weeks at a time, sometimes you will be living, eating, sleeping with your pager attached to you. All of these things are worrisome to aspiring career pilots and for these reasons, some choose to take the airline options instead. Another thing to point out is that at what experience the airlines used to hire at, corp/135 would not go for because they were looking at certain times for insurance purposes. I will say that one of my old instructors decided to stay 135 and is living a good life, but that is just one example and for as many people there are out there living the good life doing that type of flying, there are guys at the regionals making fairly good pay and getting fairly good time off. So, take the low paying places aside, going either way is a gamble, and I wouldn't say that going to a regional is bringing the profession down. It is the pilot group that must demand more from a company when they consider they might be there for more than a moment in time.

One more important point, I think 9/11 caused almost everyone to rethink their strategy in this game of obtaining your flying dream. I hope that some people did leave the regionals that top out at 32000 as a captain and I hope that they found something better and more stable. I left one regional for another, although, I can't really compare them much. Long term and short term I have a better future, at least, as much as I can see. But like a retired UAL 35+ year captain told me, you wont know if your decision is right until 20+ years from now. Being at a regional, the best thing you can do is educate your fellow pilots on how important it is to bring the bar up and not accept working rules that will bring down the profession. And although our company is growing right now, I take no joy at seeing mainline jobs disappear and pay/pension plans dwindle down. We should all be fighting for eachother right now on both sides in order to maintain some standard because although things look grim right now, some day they will not, and where will we be standing when that happens? Hopefully, at a place where we will want to stay where we are because life is good or ready to go to another another place where we will want to be because life is good or better there! Good luck to everyone!

RPA

Nimtz well said,

I believe that there should be a Regional Pilots Association(RPA) made up of all regional pilots from all companies union non-union it does not matter. Can you imagine if all the regionals had a sickout. I think it should be something more informal than a union. The unions don't do squat for the regionals anyway. If I ever get a job that pays well and I feel comfortable( like that will happen) I am going to interview at the regionals, and when they offer me the job I will ask them the starting pay then I will respond by slipping them a folded piece of paper stating that I cannot except the job for anythging less than this. My two cents. I admit it I am a regional Wh$$$.

nimtz said:
If you are competitive for an airline right now then there are many corporate/135 jobs you could easily sign on to. I know that these jobs are out there and available for people if you purse them. People leave corporate jobs alot more frequently then the airlines, so there is always velocity in that labor market ...

... I just flew a trip with a guy who is so fed-up with the direction of this profession that if our contract is not up to expectations he is bailing for a new line of work. That's what led me to ramble on like this, because I hate to lose good professionals due to the fact that some of pilots have no respect for themselves.

Nimtz,

There are two points I would like to address. The first regarding corporate jobs. I can't speak for 135 charter, but corporate flight jobs are not as easy to land as you make it seem, especially the most desireable Fortune 500 positions. Very few pilots leave those jobs. Corporate work requires an entirely different mentality versus airline flying. I've done 135, 121 and corporate work, so I feel qualified enough to make this statement. For the guy that just wants to "fly" and let the FA handle the pax and cabin, forget it. Corporate pilots are required to oversee many tasks during a given flight. You are a manager more than anything else. Everything from baggage, to ground transportation and catering are encompassed in your responsibility. Some of the larger Fortune companies may have added departments to deal with these logistics. Something to consider before making the change to this type of flying.

As for your buddy ... I would advise him to be very cautious before leaving his current position. Jobs are few and far between right now, compared with previous years.

Beantown said:
I find it funny that you are telling people not to accept less when in the last year or two you did just that! When you signed on at Coex did you know the pay? Why then did YOU sell out all the regional pilots that were already working at that time? Maybe you should have held out for the top paying regional's or taken that 135 job. Under your theory, wouldn't that have helped the pilots at Coex get higher pay? I can't stand hypocrites. -Bean

Try reading my post a little better next time before calling me a hypocrite. This is exactely what I wrote:

"I went to go work for one because I thought at the time I would throw in a year or two of paying my dues and with alot of effort positive changes to my profession would be made."

First of all I was hired well before Sept. 11th so there were options out there. BTW, outside of ALG/PDT, Coex was the best paid regional when I was hired. Comair, Air Wisconsin, and CHQ hadn't signed their contracts yet. Like many of us I thought it was going to be get my 1500 PIC and start stalking American every week for an interview. If you claim you weren't like that then you're lying.

However, once I got on the line I saw first hand just how the real problem in this industry was in that our pay and work rules were the same as always, but we were doing mainline flying and generating mainline revenue. Just like everyone else I thought well mainline flying=mainline pay. Our contract wasn't up until October 2001, so I don't quite see how you are twisting my theory to say that I sold out my pilot group by taking a job there and joining the union.

From what I've seen from my pilot group since I was hired we are as firmly commited to changing the rules as anyone. Calling me a hypocrite for taking a job when every regional was hiring makes no sense. Unfortunately, you have to get into the system in order to change the system. I fully expected then as I do today that I would realize at least a 60% raise as an FO at my airline. I applaud those who in this day and age get jobs with companies like Comair, because they will soon be helping our cause as regional pilots. I certainly don't snear at them for taking low pay. Your claim is totally baseless Beantown.

Now that the next group of regionals have contracts due it is time for all of us to move forward. Creeps like Johnny Orenstein know this, which is the only reason why these other operators are emerging. My point is why go work for them when all they are going to do is continue to shove sh*t wages down your throats.

750:
Please don't think I was trying to belittle a corporate job. My buddy flys a Citation II about 5 times a month and makes double what I do. You make a good point though, but it wasn't my intention to suggest a corporate job as a career. Those Fortune 500 gigs are exactely that and they are great jobs. Airlines tend not to hire in recessions like right now, but corporate/135 jobs tend to stay more stable through rough times. After all, the suits sign all the checks so you know they will hold onto their jets as long as you can.
Therefore, You can go work corporate or 135 now to make yourself more competitive in order to get on with Comair, Air Willy, or whoever else is hiring. It might not be your final career stop, but it pays the bills, doesn't it? If no one is hiring besides a slime ball outfit like Freedom, then wait things out while having just as good of job.
I use to flight instruct at small airport, which had 4 citations and a falcon based full-time. As an FO, the pay was comparable to what I'm getting now and the turnover was frequent, because many guys went off to the fracs or better corporate jobs. Heck, I even knew a guy who would pay you 26K to fly his 414. I'm simply saying these jobs are just as good as a regional job IF the pay stays the same at the regionals over the next 5-10 years. We are working to change the rules, but we have to battle off the sharks' attempts to keep us in poverty. So why sell out to some POS like Orenstein?

Last edited:
Don't like it? Find another job. You're one of those people that buys a house next to the airport, then srceams about airport noise. My job rocks, although I could find many things to complain about, I don't....

Latest resources

Back