• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Hey there,

I am thinking about a career move over to the fractionals. If I lived in Portland Oregon am I able to commute to work? It may sound like a dumb question, but I just don't know if you guys commute or not.

And if you do, how do you do it without jumpseat privlages.

Thanks in advance.

Simon Says , don't plan to up-grade before 5 yrs, so enjoy low 30's for the next 5 yrs. That is Flight Options and Netjets.(I think NJ is a little lower than FO, but not much)

Good Luck with whatever you do.

Check out Citationshares

Simon Says said:
Hey there,

I am thinking about a career move over to the fractionals. If I lived in Portland Oregon am I able to commute to work? It may sound like a dumb question, but I just don't know if you guys commute or not.

Thanks in advance.

Please note that a lot of the most vocal fractional discontents peruse these boards. Some people love the fractional lifestyle and others don't. Certainly the pay is not where it should be at the moment - hopefully it will increase soon.

Although I like the NJA fleet better, there seems to be a lot of negativity there at the moment (Flight Options is also experiencing problems - see other posts) and I would check out Citationshares if you are interested in the fractionals - it flies Citation CJ1s, Bravos, Excels and brand new Soveriegns (nice) and I think it has a pilot gateway in Portland - if not Portland then Seattle. You also need to confirm whether the fractionals have a commuting policy (need to live within a certain distance of the gateway). Check out Citationshares.com (and conduct a search on this forum for more information). Good luck.

Last edited:
Simon Says said:
Hey there,

Thanks in advance.

I have a good friend at Netjets who commutes from Portland to Seattle. He says it is no big deal to make the commute.

I question leaving your current position (unless you are pending furlough) for fractionals. My buddies over there are more miserable than my friends at Horizon. Have you considered them? You could live in Portland and make almost the money of NetJets in your 1st year. The overall pay is better as well. I understand that they are going to be interviewing. Good luck.

I should tell you all that my brother and I are opening a store in Portland, so money, or lack there of is not too important at this time. I just want to live in Portland, fly, and keep some kind of health insurance.

Thanks to all who answered. So I take it Net Jets has Seattle as a gateway city?

Simon Says said:
Thanks to all who answered. So I take it Net Jets has Seattle as a gateway city?

Yes, SEA is an NJA gateway city. And there is no bidding for gateways - you simply tell the company what city you will be using as your gateway. You also have the option to change gateways with advance (30 day) notice.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a gateway city? Does the company airline you from your gateway city to wherever you need to start your trip?

rk772 said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a gateway city? Does the company airline you from your gateway city to wherever you need to start your trip?

Since you come from an airline background, think of a gateway as a domicile. But unlike domiciles at the airlines, we don't bid for gateways - we simply state we gateway we are using and we can switch gateways at our discretion with appropriate notice.

And you are correct - NetJets will airline you/to from your gateway as part of your tour, as it's called. It is possible that you could be actually starting or ending your trip at your gateway, in which you obviously wouldn't airline.

One perk is that we keep our frequent-flier miles.

Simon Says said:
I should tell you all that my brother and I are opening a store in Portland, so money, or lack there of is not too important at this time. I just want to live in Portland, fly, and keep some kind of health insurance.

Not too many people will like to hear that. Will not get a recommendation from me.

Latest resources

Back