Question for Flex F.O.'s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

falcondriver

I would like to know what your pay is "per paycheck - after taxes". I've seen all the numbers on fracstats. I'm trying to find out how much I would be putting in the bank.
Thanks
FD

That's going to depend on several things, first of all, how many dependents you claim will have an effect on "take-home" pay and then, the line you bid... Base pay of $33,651.54 per year or $153.66 per day is based on a 17 day month. The bidding system allows for 15 to 19 day months, but from what I understand, 15 day months are fairly senior. Also, we're paid on every other Thursday so there are actually 54weeks or 12.5 months that we're paid for each year. Other things to consider are what benefits you choose... 401K, medical, STD, life, etc... Everyone's take-home after taxes and deductions will be different.

As far as hiring is concerned, if you haven't been called in for an interview yet, you probably won't be this year. As of this afternoon there were still 6 slots for a Nov 21 class and they're getting like 200 resumes per day!

Last edited:
Which aircraft are you MOST LIKELY to be placed into if you have decent hours - given aircraft deliveries, etc.? Assuming you are not light on the hours (e.g., 5,000+ hours with ample jet PIC), would the Lear 45 or Lear 60 be your most likely office as a newhire FO? If given the choice between the two types, which would you choose to start and why?

Cheers

They can put you in any aircraft according to operational needs but from what I hear they no longer hire into the Challenger since they've lost 18 of the last 21 guys they typed within the first few months on the job. They gave me my choice of the Learjet fleet when I got offered the job but operational needs have changed and now I'm in the LR31. Sometimes you've got to roll with the punches! It pays the same so what the heck...

Challenger Fleet

They will hire into any fleet. The only reason that there were no Challenger slots offered to the last class is that there are no new Challenger Fo's needed right now, but that could change tomorrow. You gotta be flexible to be employed

Everyone applying and accepting a position with Flex, I wish you luck. I understand these are hard times and we all have to feed our families.
I worked for Flex for two years. Flew the LR 60. Great plane, lots of good captains. Those are the two good things I have to say.
The top three reasons I quit and went elsewhere.

1. Quality of life. They will work you like a dog. Early departures on your first day out and late return on your last duty day. Bad hotel rooms, whatever the CLC card determines is the cheapest.

2. Pay. Little chance of making more money through OT or chance for advancement to CPT. $33 K annual is terrible pay for what you do.

3. Schedule. The scheduling system they use is pretty whacky. Computer based, you plug in your desires, the company plugs in their needs and the computer spits out your schedule. The kicker is, you find out your schedule less than a month before hand. I think it was on the 20th of the month before when I worked there.

Want to go to a family reunion, cousin Joe's wedding, plan a family outing? Good luck.

There is no union and no redress to unfair, or unequal treatment.

I respect you if you take the job, but you'll see for yourself, no place for a career!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate honest post. You are right about the times being tough. It's not easy making decisions about your career and family etc,etc,etc.
Good Luck To All
FD

flexpilot said:
I respect you if you take the job, but you'll see for yourself, no place for a career!

As a new-hire at Flexjet, I have to say that I don't like hearing about the negatives... But after having been on furlough for over 5 months with doubts about ever getting a flying job again, I am greatful that I'm back in the saddle!

Upgrade is running 2-3 years right now but that can change. At least they're not lying to us about it! That being said, the instructors here, giving the basic indoc have been very forthcoming in telling us what you have already said about flying alot, starting early and ending late, but they also say that many things have improved. There's no reason to not believe that things will continue to improve and therefore I have to dissagree with your opinion that this is not a place for a career. We fly new airplanes, get great benifits and actually have a company paid pension plan...granted it's not much, but it will supplement any other income I may have. We turn the phone off on our days off and have ten days of vacation when taken in two blocks of 5 with 4 days off on either side is actually two 13 day vacations in the first year! I got the base I wanted, which the company cannot change... which means I don't have to commute to base and live in a crash pad and have an airport car...

If this is paying dues, then I've been over paying for the last ten years of my career!

Last edited:
flexpilot:

"working like a dog" or "efficient utilization of flightcrews" ensures that we're going to have jobs tomorrow. It seems like all of the "dream jobs" where you never have to work are pretty scarce nowadays.

There's a great chance of being upgraded, it just might take a little longer than you'd like.

The schedule is based on seniority. You get what you want as long as you're senior enough to get it.

I've yet to see the job that never makes you work long days, pays you out the wazoo, and lets you work whenever you feel like it/get around to it. Someone tell me where I can get that?!? I think you're confusing having a job with being independently wealthy!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back