Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly BI

Flying with Color
I've got a question for anyone with experience breaking a training contract. I've just quit my job 4 months shy of the 1 year mark. They were given two weeks notice and I was told yesterday that I will not get my final paycheck. Furthermore, they say I owe them money. I'm waiting for a copy of this agreement to be faxed to me. In the meantime I have spoken with 2 other pilots who also quit at the 8 month mark. They both gave notice, received they final pay and walked away. I am really not sure what to do here.

Funny... You weren't too worried about it when you SIGNED it, were you?

I know it sux but if you signed it you should serve it and be a man of your word, if you didn't sign anything you're in good shape and if you signed it and want to break it then:" you gots to pay".
One thing, they cannot legally withhold your last check, it must e paid and then they can bill you for whatever you may owe.
I mean it's not like you weren't aware that this would become an issue down the road, right??.....Right ??

sorry, misread the post... I'd say you're on the hook for those training costs.

Last edited:
Fly BI said:
I've got a question for anyone with experience breaking a training contract. I've just quit my job 4 months shy of the 1 year mark. They were given two weeks notice and I was told yesterday that I will not get my final paycheck. Furthermore, they say I owe them money. I'm waiting for a copy of this agreement to be faxed to me. In the meantime I have spoken with 2 other pilots who also quit at the 8 month mark. They both gave notice, received they final pay and walked away. I am really not sure what to do here.
Get those other guys to write and sign statements attesting to that fact, then send them to your attorney. Next, have your attorney draft them a letter specifying that if they don't give you your last paycheck and hold you harmless on the training contract, insert appropriate legaleeze phrase here

I.P. Freley said:
Funny... You weren't too worried about it when you SIGNED it, were you?

You are 100% correct. Maybe that was due in part to them saying that it was just so that I knew they were spending some money to train me. They said they have never enforced it. That, coupled with the fact that I had just driven 3 days across they country and was not told of this contract until I arrived was the reason I signed it. Yes, I too see the humor value, thanks for noticing it too!

TIGV said:
I know it sux but if you signed it you should serve it and be a man of your word, if you didn't sign anything you're in good shape and if you signed it and want to break it then:" you gots to pay".
One thing, they cannot legally withhold your last check, it must e paid and then they can bill you for whatever you may owe.
I mean it's not like you weren't aware that this would become an issue down the road, right??.....Right ??

As I stated, I wasn't aware it would become an issue. They have had 16 pilots quit during my employment. Not a word was said about repayment. So in truth, I was not at all concerned because a precedent was set.

Fly BI said:
FN FAL.

Do I need to speak with an aviation attorney or does it matter?
no. My attorney just happens to be an aviation attorney.

Just whatever you do, don't threaten anything...if you are going to see an attorney, no need to tell your previous employer.

Also, if you threaten a lawsuit, you could be sued...so don't threaten anything.

If your parents have an attorney, run the case by him. It'll probably cost you a couple hundred bucks to retain him and get the letters sent, but any further questions regarding this matter should be brought up with an attorney.

Don't be scared, usually the initial consultation is free...if you got a good attorney, he should be able to tell during the consultation what and how far things will need to go, including whether or not the old employer has a leg to stand on.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back