Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rchcfi

How slow can you go
Anyone know why the CJ3 doesn't have the paddle type reversers? I've seen a few now, and none of them have any type of reversing capability.

Thanks,
RCHCFI

The CJ3 (as well as the CJ2+) have FADEC. I believe that the FADEC permits a reduced idle that negates the need for the thrust attenuators. The paddles merely divert some of the idle thrust to the side.

Cj1+

Cessna is doing away with the thrust attenuators on the CJ1+, CJ2+ and CJ3 never had them. They never "reversed" the thrust anyway, they just reduced the idle thrust.

Swamp Fox said:
The CJ3 (as well as the CJ2+) have FADEC. I believe that the FADEC permits a reduced idle that negates the need for the thrust attenuators. The paddles merely divert some of the idle thrust to the side.

He is right FADEC lowers the idle thrust...thus no need for the paddles!

The CJ1/CJ2 had the thrust attenuators installed to counteract the high idle that the Williams engines put out. For the airplane to be certified the engines needed to spool up from idle to full thrust in a certain amount of time (I believe 6 seconds??) and the Williams engines couldn't do it. So they set the "idle" on the engine to a higher setting, so that it could meet the spool up criteria. This in turn however made the aircraft taxi much faster then normal. To counteract that they added on the thrust attenuators, which if your taxiing the CJ correctly negates the need to even use the brakes until your ready to come firmly to a stop.

Which makes the attenuators only good for slowing the aircraft down while taxiing, without the need of using brakes. On landing, their useless.

The CJ3's do not have the attenuators installed. It uses the new FADEC system which uses compartively lower ground idle speed, resulting in smaller residual thrust.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back