PT PFT Taildragger pilot @ CRQ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
scarface said:
You boys can have a hissy with each other all you want but leave the last of the red hot props(T-28) out of it.

LOL...When I was teaching in the T-6, I had a guy come out who owned a T-28. He wanted to fly the T-6 to see what something smaller flew like. He was pretty humbled. He reminded me of lear jet drivers that would come and fly the T-6. They sucked also.

I think everybody sucks their first time in a new piece of equipment. I found that to be true when I instructed in the YS-11, (insert type of airplane here) pilots would be humbled the first time out then ability and dedication would rise to the occasion.
Same held true for the DC8 and the 767.

When I worked for Tom & Kate, it didn't seem to matter what type of hot fast-mover you flew, there was an F-18 and F-15 guy respectively who had to started out in the Vargas. Although if you really want to get in to Travelair and T-6, they give you an opportunity to build some tailwheel. The bi-planes are the ones that fly the most. The T-6 only had 2 pilots (when I was there), and they didn't seem over worked.

Still, a great outfit. You won't really build alot of time, but, neat way to relax on the weekends.

A buddy of mine I used to use as a contract FO flys(or flew) biplanes at CRQ. He was a retired OPD motor officer, initials VS. Anyone know if he works(ed) for them and is still there?

scarface said:
I think everybody sucks their first time in a new piece of equipment. I found that to be true when I instructed in the YS-11, (insert type of airplane here) pilots would be humbled the first time out then ability and dedication would rise to the occasion.
Same held true for the DC8 and the 767.

I was just taking cheap shots because, well, sometimes it is fun. :)

Actually, the T-28 pilot in question thought he was God's gift to warbirds and when I was briefing him on how the T-6 handles, he goes, "yeah yeah, I have 20 hours of Citabria time so it won't be an issue". He actually said that.
On the first take off roll, the airplane starts to shoot off to the left. It was to the point I was being thrown to the right side of the cockpit. I had to take over.
He blamed it on the wind, even as the windsock hung limp.

The best guys I had as students were senior airline guys, corporate pilots and freightdogs.

I see what you are saying, tho. Heck, I get lost in the airplane I am currently flying.

Latest resources

Back