• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL420

Blues vs. Birds-Tailhook
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2006-04-05, 2:33PM PDT

Pilot Wanted (part time) for biplane ride and air combat business. Must be: enthusiastic, personable, and flexible. Minimum qualifications: Commercial pilot certificate, 1000 hours PIC, no accidents/incidents. Biplane pilot (Travel Air 4000): 500 tailwheel, 50 hours large taildragger (or willingness to pay for training). Warbird Pilot (AT-6/SNJ): 500 tailwheel, 200 hours large taildragger, aerobatic experience. Air Combat Pilot (Varga VG-21's): 1000 PIC, 200 in light GA aircraft. Formation training preferred.

Pilot pays for all training at cost recovery rate. Need weekday, weekend or both. Spousal approval required. Palomar Airport (CRQ) in Carlsbad CA.

Fax your resume (760-931-2664) or send us an email describing your exceptional flying skills, good nature, and love for flying. Please don't call, that's what we want customers to do.

· Job location is Carlsbad CA
· Compensation: $25/hour and all the airplane slobber you can stand

Where do you get that this is a PFT gig? Seems to me that anyone with the proper qualifications could step in and go to work. IF you dont have any heavy recip taildragger time, you dont have any business looking at a seat like this one anyway. It's not a beginner's seat. I've never flown the Travel Air, but I've got some stearman time, and have flown the AT-6. The AT-6 may be an advanced trainer, but it WILL bite you in the A$$ if you dont respect it. You dont just go out and fire up a 1340 Pratt and go fly, either. There's a learning curve on radial engines if you want to keep them in one piece. Add to that the fact that it costs better than $300 per hour to even operate these birds, not including the maintainance, and I can see exactly why the operator would want to recoupe some of the cost of having to train a greenhorn. I know I would.

Last edited:
agpilot34 said:
Where do you get that this is a PFT gig? Seems to me that anyone with the proper qualifications could step in and go to work. IF you dont have any heavy recip taildragger time, you dont have any business looking at a seat like this one anyway.

I posted it exactly as written.

If I was interested in moving for a part time job where it states Pilot pays for all training at cost recovery rate, I would have applied. I think my more than 500 hours in a half-dozen different taildraggers and significant time in the T-28B/C as an instructor would make me a contender. Would you like to compare aerobatic experience, air combat experience and formation flying experience?

Last edited:
FL420 said:

If I was interested in moving for a part time job where it states Pilot pays for all training at cost recovery rate, I would have applied. I think my more than 500 hours in a half-dozen different taildraggers and significant time in the T-28B/C as an instructor would make me a contender. Would you like to compare aerobatic experience, air combat experience and formation flying experience?

The owner used to fly the Whale off of boats...you would fit on with most of the guys that work there. Good group.

I am a civilian, and we can compare. :)
I've done it all, just never with live ammo.

I worked there about 4 years ago. You won't find a more Mom & Pop (read-enjoyable) place to unwind on the weekends, and yet Kate and Tom are about the best business model you'll find for for running a proffitable, and efficient aviation business.

Solid management, good maintenance, and cool airplanes. It was a fun weekend gig!

I dropped in to talk with them a few weeks ago when I had a SAN week end and was quite impressed. If I was out in that area more often I definitely would want to try and fly for them.

stearmann4 said:
I worked there about 4 years ago. You won't find a more Mom & Pop (read-enjoyable) place to unwind on the weekends, and yet Kate and Tom are about the best business model you'll find for for running a proffitable, and efficient aviation business.

Solid management, good maintenance, and cool airplanes. It was a fun weekend gig!

It is a neat place. I have a bro who worked there for a bunch of years flying the Travel Air (ET are his initials, in case you know him). I got the impression he enjoyed it.

I was even offered a gig there to fly the Vargas, but had already made another commitment and couldn't do it. I was bummed.

FL420 said:
Pilot pays for all training at cost recovery rate. Need weekday, weekend or both. Spousal approval required. Palomar Airport (CRQ) in Carlsbad CA.

Spousal approval required...very interesting...

FL420 said:

Ah yes, the old "my stick's bigger than your stick" routine. Okay, here's mine... 5 years of flying ag in heavy recips (Ag Cats, Air Tractors)mostly 600hp radials, but some turbine as well, more hours of formation team spraying at 10 feet than I care to count, aerobatics in the Stearman and AT-6, etc. Yeah, I'll compare experience with you all you want. The T-28 is a trike anyway. And did you contact these guys to actually see if you're experience would qualify you without any training, or did you just take it for granted because of the way the ad was worded?

You boys can have a hissy with each other all you want but leave the last of the red hot props(T-28) out of it.

Latest resources

Back