prospect

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sixstrings

How would an employer look at an individual who has 4 years of military experience, A&P, and an associates degree (aviation mx)? I'll be getting out in the near future and just wondering what the perception is of the job market from the people who are in the know.

Last edited:
I'll give you one example.

I was an active duty USAF Crew Chief for 4 years (2 years working Phase), and then an Air Nat Guard Crew Chief for another 4 years. I didn't have my A&P but managed to get into a small regional airline (Shuttle America) as a mechanic's helper for a year working Saab 340A turboprops. I then went and got my quicky A&P (took the tests from experience) and when I returned to work they put me on the pay scale of a 1 year mechanic because I had done the 1 year as a helper.

I was training new A&Ps who were coming in while I was "just" a helper. Airlines don't seem to understand that fighter aircraft work on the same principles as civilian jet aircraft, and most could care less about any military experience.

I'm back in the Air Guard now working F-16Cs and working on getting in as a full time Civil Service Technician. Some good money there!

Your degree and A&P may help to start from near the bottom with a regional, commuter, or GA, but the majors with heavies will want "heavy" experience.

It's a Catch-22...we won't hire you because you have no 737 experience...but how do you get 737 experience if you can't get hired. :erm:

Good luck with whatever you do.

Don't let WK sacre you too badly. Now-a-days, FBO owners, Directors of Maintenance, and the such look for that kinda junk on a resume. Hey, I were a business man, I'd look for it too.

Here is another little story for you....
I spent my four in the Corps, got my 'Good Cookie' and got out, went to get my A&P in a popular aviation school and landed a sweet gig working on corporate jets, it was a one in a thousand deal. I guess they liked the Marine thing on the resume - whatever.
So, now I have been bending wrenches for nearly 20 years on Challengers and Gulfstreams, I have moved up and I have moved down the food chain a couple times, changed companies etc.. I get this email to come to my squadron's reunion. I go and see an old friend of mine, he was a Sgt and now he is a MSGT and looking toward a retirement soon. He starts telling me about all of the little classes and courses he has taken over the years and was going to start looking for some sort of airport/aircraft management.
Long story short, I gave him my name and number to call....

He has not called me, hopefully he made it alright.

Moral to the story: Don't expect to enter the rat race on the pole position, you might have to pay your dues like the rest of us.

Military may or may not count towards bonus pionts, depends on the person looking at your resume like the military type.

I see that you have A-10 background, you might try some of the Challenger Repair Stations or Bombardier Service Centers.....601/604 Challengers have CF34 engines.

GOOD LUCK!

Sixstring, Where are you stationed?
I'd say Gatorman summed it up. I'm retired AF and ANG. I have done some hiring in the past few years and am mixed on the Military thing. Mostly the hiring is done looking for good references and a professional applicant. We can teach you what you need to know when we get you in the door but any acft experience will help. Younger Military types work out in the regional world better than retired types. Retirees have trouble with the seniority thing and working nights and weekends which you should expect to do for a few years. You definetly need to get your aps and resume out there though.

Latest resources

Back