Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ShutupandFly

lovin every min of it!
Days like the one I had yesterday remind me of just what the job of Aircraft dispatcher actually is, we are problem solvers. Our mainline computer system had a little “glitch” which meant for the dispatchers we were getting all information out to the crews by alternate methods. The phones were ringing off the hooks with pilots looking for performance data, load control info, legality questions, and any number of other problems. I still feel like I have a phone attached to my ear. To everyone in my office, managers, crew sked, load controllers, MOC, fellow dispatchers, and the people that came in to help the situation, Thank You! We took an extremely chaotic situation and worked together to continue running our flights and getting as many of our passengers to there destinations as possible. I am glad I work with such a dedicated group of people.

Right back at ya.

Same to you, man! It takes a day or two like that once every long time to make you appreciate all those days that monkeys could do our job.

See ya back at the SOC in a few days.... I'll definitely enjoy my weekend after that debacle.

I thought we were individual pilot counselors. Huh, go figure.

I heard you all did an amazing job.

You're going to make me cry.

I'm oddly looking forward to finally coming back to work Saturday.

Baby Owen arrived 7/16 at 12:59pm. Weighed in at 8lbs 13oz and was 21 1/4 inches. He's a hefty little dude. Everyone is healthy and we're getting into the new lifestyle of being parents (sleep deprevation, etc!)

When I was a dispatcher back in the day, people would often ask me what the job was like, and I would describe it as follows-

Imagine yourself on a boat that is taking on water at 2 gallons per minute. You have a small 1 gallon bucket that you are using to try to bail yourself out. Now imagine the boat is tied to a dock next to a building that is on fire. As you bail the water out of the sinking boat, you are using it to try and put out the fire.

Pretty much sums it up.

30West said:
When I was a dispatcher back in the day, people would often ask me what the job was like, and I would describe it as follows-

Imagine yourself on a boat that is taking on water at 2 gallons per minute. You have a small 1 gallon bucket that you are using to try to bail yourself out. Now imagine the boat is tied to a dock next to a building that is on fire. As you bail the water out of the sinking boat, you are using it to try and put out the fire.

Pretty much sums it up.

Nevermind...

Last edited:
30West said:

Pretty much sums it up.

Well since the boat is tied to the dock, it isn't going very far underwater and we can always pull it up later, so I say forget the boat and fight the fire.

Latest resources

Back