Police Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

Anyone know which Police forces hire from within only and which hire off the street pilots? LA police? NYPD? If anyone has flown for the police I would like to hear from you.

I know if Illinois, you must be a cop before a pilot. Too bad they don't hire from the street.
I assume other agencies have the same policy

Most hire only sworn officers. Some, mostly those units that do combined SAR, EMS and law enforcement are more likley to contract out to non sworn. Check out www.alea.org They have a search program of flight units with the qualification requirements. Most tend to look at their aviation units as "Law enforcement officers who fly, rather than pilots who assist law enforcement".

I haven't heard of an agency that hires pilots off the street...aside from some federal ones and even then you've still gotta go through the academy and get certified.

You've gotta prove yourself in the patrol division before moving into a specialized squad or unit...and I'd imagine that you'd have to kiss some serious booty to get assigned to the aviation unit.

Last edited:
Some agencies with let you get on fairly quickly if there in not a lot of interest but others like LAPD make you wait five years.

I know that phoenix is 3 years of patrol then you can take the test to get into the flight dept, but I hear 6+ years is common before they will take you.

Mevans said:
Most hire only sworn officers. Some, mostly those units that do combined SAR, EMS and law enforcement are more likley to contract out to non sworn. Check out www.alea.org They have a search program of flight units with the qualification requirements. Most tend to look at their aviation units as "Law enforcement officers who fly, rather than pilots who assist law enforcement".

Looks like its a members only site. Do you happen to be a member? If so please PM me. Thanks

Henrico County Division of Police only hires from within and utilizes only fixed wing aircraft. Last I heard, you could spend the better part of a decade getting into that aviation unit.

Jacksonville has quite a few helicopters. They require a minimum of five years on the street before you can put your request in to join the aviation unit. Having ratings doesn't help...it's by seniority. If accepted in the flight department, you will start out as an observer, then it's up to you to get your ratings at your own cost. Moving from observer to pilot can take longer than five years, depending on retirements.

One time back in the mid 90's, I was approached by a fellow skydiver who was with the Charleston S.C. police department. He said they were looking for a pilot and would consider "off the street" pilots, but they had to have fixed and rotary wing ratings and the ability to be certified as a police officer.

Most of these police flying positions are sought after by men and women already in the ranks who would like a break from the routine of policing, but not all departments exclude outside help...good luck.

As a post script, one of my other skydiving/flying friends, was a SGT with the Outtagamie Sheriff's Office near Appleton WI. He would rent planes and do prisoner transport stuff for his agency and others. Most times he would rent a Barron from MaxAir or use another deputy's Cardinal. The agency would cover the rental of the FBO plane or costs on the personal plane and pay the deputies salaries.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back