Piston going from the east to VNY/BUR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

falcon20pilot

I have had this happen to me EVERY time (about 4) I am coming from the east in pistion via PSP enroute to VNY or BUR, and would like to know if our ATC community has an answer. We file /G if that makes a difference. Also in a P210 I usually fly at 14K ft.

Somewhere east of PSP, LA center comes on and says "I have a re-route, advise when ready to copy".

They then give you "Cleared direct PSP, V16 PDZ, POM, VNY, direct KBUR (or KVNY wherever you are going), maintain 14K"

So then Socal wants you at 6K before PDZ, I am ready for that. You get to PDZ and make the turn to the north to POM and they come on a few minutes later and say "Where are you going??? I show you north of course. What was your clearance???

So I repeat exactly what I was assigned, and they reassign me "turn left 270 intercept V186 VNY" and act all confused.

Anybody know what is going on? Does one sector of Socal maybe not have the link from the previous one? It seems like the earlier sector wants you down below and to the north of the LAX and John Wayne approaches, but once you are past PDZ they don't care and have not passed onto the next controller what they assigned you.

ZLA working LAX arrivals usually bring the majority of them to cross Civet INT at 14000. That is also the point at which the 5 nm turns to 3 in a hurry when SCT takes them from ZLA. They fly you west, so you can fly over the LAX arrivals that are below you. Now as for the routing confusion. More then likely there is a confusion along your route as ZLA's URET spits something out from the host, and SCT has something else or they have a prefered route they just didn't assign. I don't know why there strips don't indicate what you got. As long as your route you got is on a tape somewhere I wouldn't worry, just do what they say and get to BUR. Thats some cluttered airspace down there. I don't work it so i don't know for sure.

next time just prior to the turn at PDZ verify your route with them. If they dropped the ball they will be very happy when they have a chance to correct ti in time.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back