Pipeline contacts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tailhook

Does anyone know how one might find out about bidding pipeline contracts in the Montana Idaho area? I would imagine there would be some form of government or private site to bid these contracts. Thanks in advance

Fly safe

Your best bet would be to find out what companies have lines in your area and contact them directly. The Govt. has absolutely nothing to do with the bidding process. I will tell you this though, and I hope you dont take it the wrong way... unless you already have some time and experience flying pipeline patrol, I doubt that you will have much luck getting a contract awarded to you. There's too much risk involved for the pipeline companies as far as lawsuits and environmental problems when a problem occurs. The companies want to know that the pilot out there patrolling their lines and ROW's is experienced in what to look for, and knows what he is doing. I know that some pilot's view aerial patrol as a time building job, but nothing could be farther from the truth. It takes experience to know what to look for, and it takes stamina and a real love for this type of flying to stay in the cockpit for 8 or 9 hours a day at 300' AGL or less. Add to that the fact that alot of what we do now falls in line with homeland security, and you can see why the pipeline companies want it done right the first time, and dont want any questions as to whether or not a pilot has the experience to do the job. I'm not saying that you couldnt do the job, so dont take it that way... I'm merely telling you there's quite a bit more to it than just going out and bidding a contract. Good luck if you decide to do it, though.

Latest resources

Back