Pilots and their CELLPHONES

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Icelandair said:
Maybe it was a weekend and the minutes are free anyway.
Free for 49.99/month. If the company wants you to have a cell phone they shoud either issue you one or pay a stipend for the use of yours.

machaf said:
This is such a negative environment. 10% of the posts are people helping each other out.

You're right!

OK....here's a positive, friendly, helpful suggestion on how to deal with the communication quagmire:

Next time an issue comes up during taxi-out that requires communication with the Company, do this:

Notify ATC of the need to return to the gate. With all engines operating, taxi safely back to the gate, shut down, recall the jetway or airstair, politely brief the passengers, exit the aircraft and proceed to find a landline in the terminal, and make a fuggin' phone call!

How about we all get on board and propose a week or a month that no one uses their cell phones to help ASA. That will get things changed very fast.

ASA pilots need to get together on issues like this if they want it changed. You see Mgt. is together on issues to put ASA pilots down and because they are togther they are stonger.

Just look at the pay scales, they want to take money out of your pocket and still have you use your phone and not pay for it.

The cell phone saves the company probably millions a year and they won't give the capt. $20 or $30 a month. Most other decent companies that use cell phones give them to the worker.

For all you cry babies who don't want to use your cell phone just call ops at the airport you are at and they can easily patch you through to Mx, Dx, Scheduling, ect. ect. Don't use your cell phone if you feel you are getting jipped, just use the radio. There is no need to taxi back to the gate just to use a land line. Tool!!

av8er2 said:
How about we all get on board and propose a week or a month that no one uses their cell phones to help ASA. That will get things changed very fast.

ASA pilots need to get together on issues like this if they want it changed. You see Mgt. is together on issues to put ASA pilots down and because they are togther they are stonger.

Just look at the pay scales, they want to take money out of your pocket and still have you use your phone and not pay for it.

The cell phone saves the company probably millions a year and they won't give the capt. $20 or $30 a month. Most other decent companies that use cell phones give them to the worker.

I actually asked "MyASA" about this issue. I gave a scenario of when the APU door is unknown, and we have to manually reset it. The ONLY way to do this is via cell phone. Use a few minutes, help the company, and keep the airplane flying fast. Or, don't give in, defer the APU with the door in the Unknown position, and keep it under 300 knots. Think of how much time and fuel this is going to cost?? They would pay my cell phone bill for the rest of the year just on one flight. Their answer was "We do not provide compensation for any cell phone usage". This is where they need to get their heads out of their a$$es and do some cost analysis. It's not rocket science, except to management.

IFLYASA said:
I actually asked "MyASA" about this issue. I gave a scenario of when the APU door is unknown, and we have to manually reset it. The ONLY way to do this is via cell phone. Use a few minutes, help the company, and keep the airplane flying fast. Or, don't give in, defer the APU with the door in the Unknown position, and keep it under 300 knots. Think of how much time and fuel this is going to cost?? They would pay my cell phone bill for the rest of the year just on one flight. Their answer was "We do not provide compensation for any cell phone usage". This is where they need to get their heads out of their a$$es and do some cost analysis. It's not rocket science, except to management.

I'm confused. What can your cell phone accomplish that you radio can't in your above scenario? Please explain.

DetoXJ said:
I'm confused. What can your cell phone accomplish that you radio can't in your above scenario? Please explain.

To do an APU reset you have to be in the aft equipment bay and run a reset program. You press certain buttons and wait for certain LED's to light, and continue based on what it's reading. You can't call maintence from the radio or Ops phone and just write down the sequence. You have to have your head up there with your cell phone and read out the indications to maintenance, and they give you instructions based on what it reads..

IFLYASA said:
To do an APU reset you have to be in the aft equipment bay and run a reset program. You press certain buttons and wait for certain LED's to light, and continue based on what it's reading. You can't call maintence from the radio or Ops phone and just write down the sequence. You have to have your head up there with your cell phone and read out the indications to maintenance, and they give you instructions based on what it reads..

Just defer the APU over the radio. Probably quicker and less hassle than crawling into the APU hell hole. Being limited to 300 knots for one flight to get to a hub isn't a big deal as far as the company is concerned. A 300 Knot limit at most might add a couple minutes to the flight plan time and as far as fuel burn goes, it will probablly save the company some $$ in gas since going "balls to the walls" isn't the most economical way to fly.

IFLYASA said:

Why in God's holy name would you as a pilot climb up into the aft service bay and conduct an APU reset. As far as I'm concerned, anything that isn't basic requires a mechanic.

Taxi back. Shut down. Call contract MX. If the sequence isn't listed in the MEL under "operator", then I'm not touching it.

As for the whole cellphone thing. Do what you want. Personally I pay for enough minutes that I can call whomever I want, whenever I want. Always have, always will.

For me, it's more important for ME to get things done as quickly as possible. Taking the time to walk inside, find an available company phone, deal with the issue, walk back out burns up time I'm not getting paid for.

I'll spend the extra few bucks a month to pay for the phone so that I can reach my overnight on time and go out for a few beers with the crew.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back