Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ec130e

Hello,

Anyone working at Piedmont as a Dispatcher? If so, just looking for some inside scoop.

Thanks!

Really, just wondering if anyone can give me a little insight on Piedmont dispatch. Trying to get back into dispatch after a 2 year military hiatus.

Thanks!

I left Piedmont last year after 11 years. They fly Dash 8 100's/300's. The Dispatchers are aligned with the I.A.M Machinists Union. Fully staffed, there are usually a total of 14 Dispatchers. Normally there are four Dispatchers per shift and one Supervisor. Shift hours are 0415-1415 and 1400-0000. As far as pay, they don't set the world on fire,but they're not the bottom of the barrel either. I think starting pay is somewhere around $12.00/hr. You get an initial raise after six months and then two per year after that. While I was there, they seemed to always be short staffed, so there was always overtime available. That's paid at time and a half.
One of the draw backs of Piedmont is that there isn't really a business plan after 2009. Since US Airways merged with America West, no one knows if they will want to keep turbo props in their system. It's the usual airline rumor mill. Everyone thinks they know what's going to happen, but they can never tell you anything definite.
If I were just starting out or trying to get back into Dispatch, I would give Piedmont a try. I know they are always looking for people, so If you interviewed, you would probably get offered a job.
I hope this info helped. If you need to know anything else just ask.

First of all, thank you for the insightful reply. Yes, I am interviewing tomorrow with them. I had a very brief stint with ACA and Independece Air, before I had to go overseas on a deployment. While I was there, I found out that they "drowned". Anyhow, this will give me a good start if I want to progress in this profession.

2 questions:

1. How was quality of life?
2. I will be living approx 4 hrs away in PA. So, how was the housing set up? Cheap, expensive, run of the mill? Did you use a crashpad?

Quality of life wasn't bad. You are only 30 miles from the beach which is nice in the summer. Salisbury is the headquarters of Perdue, so you kind of have to get used to the smell of chicken houses. You would think that it would be rather inexspensive to live there, but that's not really the case. Salisbury is in one of the most expensive counties in Martyland as far as taxes. A decent one-bedroom apartment will probably run at least $700/month. I would say that's one of the drawbacks i.e cost of living. I rented an apartment the whole time I was there.

Thank you again for the info. I did interview in 2005 and was offered the job. However, I was getting ready to go out th door for som "fun in the sun" (not so much) for a while and I had to turn it down. I just interviewd with them again yesterday. I am told I will find out next week as to what their decision is going to be. I will have to seriously consider the cost of living if I am offered the position.

I guess my username gives me away.:) Yes, I am still part of the PA ANG flying on c-130s. However, we are flying J-models now.

Latest resources

Back