PIC? pressurized, high altitude capable aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sleddriver71

Sitting around thinking again. Several years ago, I logged some PIC hours in a 690 Commander. I realize the 690 Commander is an airplane that one has to have a high altitude endorsement in order to act as PIC. At the time, I did not have a high altitude endorsement but I did have my multi engine rating and the person I was flying with was totally qualified in the aircraft as well as being an MEI. So if my thinking is correct, I was legal in logging this time as PIC time as long as this instructor (who was of course acting PIC) was giving me dual instruction at the time.? Am I right? I hope...

Yup,
All you need to log PIC when sole manipulator of controls is appropriate category and class (and type, if req'd.). Any of the endorsement aircraft (complex, hi-perf, tailwheel, pressurized) may be logged PIC when you're driving. You still cannot 'act' as PIC until signed off.

Sorry, I don't think it's been that long, I still remember returning from the practice area sweating the crosswind component. I know one thing, I don't have a high altitude endorsement.

No it hasn't been that long, still remember returning from the practice area sweating the crosswinds, I never obtained a high altitude endorsement and hope I'm not breaking any regs.

As far as I know, you are required to have a high altitude endorsement in order to act as PIC in a pressurized aircraft capable of operating at high altitudes. In other words a service ceiling or max operating altitude of 25,000', whichever is less. I don't know when you got typed in those various aircraft or for that matter how long their has been a high altitude endorsement. But as far as I can see (FAR 61.31 (g)) requires it. Maybe I'm missing something...

No I think I must have missed it, I'm sure though as a seven year cpt. on the bus I am somehow legal, who knows, will have to look into it.

If you're typed, you're authorized to operate that aircraft as PIC...so if it's an aircraft requiring a HP endorsement, complex endorsement, high altitude endorsement and/or tailwheel endorsement and you're typed....you've got the requried endorsements.

...correct?

-mini

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back