Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F

fastguy

I may have made a mistake and I need to know what you guys think about it. I paid for a few hundred hours in the right seat of a turboprop at a company that required an SIC. It was a great experience because I wasnt "babysitted", I was a required crewmember that had an equal share of duties. People at my flight school (including CFI's and cheif pilot), and other airline pilots encouraged me to do it. But, I just joined flightinfo.com about a week ago and ran a search on PFT (too late i guess). There were so many negative and violent comments toward people who PFT'ed that it bothered me. Some of them are so mean that I'm sure if I met one on the street I'd be beaten up, I mean, look at some of these posts!!! I am now being paid at the company which is rare because they usually dont hire the guys that pay for their time. It's only happened one other time in the past 2 years and I am fortunate to have a job, although I would prefer a 121 job.
But now I'm thinking I made a huge mistake. From reading the posts about PFT, I think I'm doomed from the airlines because I did this. The regionals are obviously my goal and I'm hoping the PFT on my record will not hinder that. Go easy on me

I think you'll be ok.
It's good that you got hired after your paid time was up.
Most major airline pilots really dont care, mostly its the new regional guys who have bad things to say about it.
Don't stress man

It's cool dawg...

don't sweat it too much fastguy, you're getting paid now. with the time you have you've got a bit more flying to do before a regional so just keep doing what you're doing. if it were to come up in an interview, which i doubt it would but that is only an opinion, i'd say be honest. tell them you were new in the industry doing what you thought would be best and you didn't realize what PFT was all about.

from people that i've known who have PFT i've never heard anyone say they think they didn't get a job because of it.

just my .02 cents. Good luck!

Dude I am in the same situation. The fact is that you already PFT'ed and can't change it. Just roll with the punches and enjoy your new job.

PM me if you have any questions...

--03M

Your alright, I wouldn't stress about it. Even if you didn't get hired, I think it would still be alright in your situation. You do what you can in this buisness, esspecially nowadays. Live and learn, and you'll do fine.

I personally don't condone what you did (as if anyone cares what I think), but I don't think it will be an issue in the interview. Outside of asking the question directly, which won't happen, I can't think of any way the issue will arise. It's just another job on your resume that you can talk about with your interviewer. Compensation, or anti-compensation in your case, probably won't come up.

The worst that could happen is that some militant crewmember finds out what you did and slam-clicks on you at the overnight, but that's not always a bad thing.

Ever notice that it's the regional guys who have the biggest problems with PFT, bring politics into the JS, and fight over the particular strength of various low-paying contracts? In the same way that GA pilots learn the ways of the industry through flight instruction, flying freight, and PFT scams, regional guys are also learning that the bitter infighting over petty issues ultimately hurts pilots more than it helps.
Don't worry about your past PFT. It's in the past, and, provided you don't exhalt in the idea of paying for a position that could have been a paid position to another pilot, you really won't get called out on it unless you bring it up. Shhhh . . .

Politics in the jumpseat isn't for the regionals only. There are PLENTY of mainline pilots that use the jumpseat as a weapon. Why don't you go ask any of them what they think about RJs? I wouldn't if I were you. Now you know why I commuted on American and MidEx to and from DEN instead of riding United. The majority of the crews were treating express guys very poorly (until chapter 11). Ever notice how pilots (me included...doh) tend to lump things together and make blanket statements?
Blue skies...remember, correct for adverse yaw.

Don't worry about a thing fastguy. No one cares about that. It's not like you got violated or anything. So don't stress it.

You did WHAT?!!!!

Just kidding. Really, people go to this board in the hotel, after crappy WX, broken airplanes, etc that put them in a bad mood. I dare to say a lot of the ire in here is heat-of-the-moment stuff.
Worrying about a PFT mistake is about as pointless as a guy getting hired at Mesa 5 years from now worrying about asking for a jumpseat because of the Freedumb fiasco that happened long before he even had a private pilot license.

Some of the stuff that goes on in here is real no-sh1t rage, especially when the bar gets lowered instead of riased. Too often we go after our fellow pilots instead of the real bums who are responsible for it all.

Latest resources

Back