Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoilerUP

Citation style...
I'm trying to get some pilot-to-pilot feedback on Preferential Bidding.

I know RAH & SKW use it on the regional level, and Jetblue & UAL on the Major/LCC level (CAL as well?)...anybody else? If your airline uses PBS, what kind of system is it (NavTech, EOS, etc)?

I'm less interested in the pros vs. cons of PBS or how PBS works, and much more interested in first-hand knowledge of how PBS has helped or hurt *your* QOL & bidding power. What do and don't you like about PBS? What would you change about your PBS system if you could?

Many thanks to everyone who replies!

We had PBS at TWA (Adopt, I think) and it was awesome. I was middle level senority and got almost everything I wanted. Under the old system, I would get almost nothing.

At CAL we just started PBS (October bid month). This program isn't as user friendly as what I'm used too. We had alot of growning pains, but in the end it will work out. Mostly because people didn't practice enough with the system before it went live.

I think it will help with QOL. The key is practicing with it and figuring out how to program what you want. It's 2006 and the time for dumping the bidding system from 1965 has come. Not a minute to soon.

PBS Downsides

I think you have to weigh the benifits of PBS for the months you are working throughtout the year vs. the negatives of no more conflicts with Vacation and training, etc.

Re: Vacation, with PBS, you can either make money or get time off - It's hard to maximize both.

In United's case, the junior pilots are having a hard time getting what they want. If they don't want to be awarded a 90 hour line, by the time the computer gets to their seniority, it ignores requests for lower credit lines and just starts packing in the trips, until they're all covered.

I will say, if you don't mind losing the benefits of conflicting and you're really senior, then PBS is a good thing.

At DAL we went with NavTech's CLASS, which is what JetBlue uses. It is also a follow-on to the AirWare product that NWA uses and (some of) TWA used.

I actually worked on the PBS rollout project, answering questions in the lounge, phones in a call center, teaching classes, etc.

I have YET to meet ONE pilot who would like to go back to the Line of Time system. Most guys are very happy. You get more of what you want, more of the time, than you ever did with the old system. That does not mean it is perfect, but it does mean that most guys are happier more often.

That said, I like PBS because we got THIS particular product. Other vendors have less impressive products. In fact if we had gone with the CARMEN product that our FAs have, I don't think you would see so many positive vibes. Also, we have several UNION-negotiated protections, including union oversight of the bid awards. There have been several times where we rejected the first run from the company because we were dissatisfied with it. The company usually reluctantly sees it our way, reruns the category, and we are all happy.

But I can't imagine anyone wanting to go back. That is why all the guys who knee-jerk say "no PBS" whenever the company proposes it at least need to talk to various pilot groups who actually have it.

I'm at JetBlue with the NavTech CLASS system. I'm a junior lineholder. I generally get what I ask for. I've gotten every single specific date off that I've asked for so far. I also generally get the type of trips I prefer too.

On reserve, I got exactly what I asked for and usually set up a 7 or 8 day break once during each month of reserve.

In general:
days off= 100%
trips bid for = 75%

Its a good system and I'd be upset to loose it.

I'm hoping it will work out. First month of PBS I didn't get a weekend off while before I was getting two weekends off when I could bid a reserve line that I wanted. I asked for one day off, multiple bid's via a line, reserve A and reserve B and did not get it, and no it wasn't a holiday. I am junior, hired in April at CAL; so it may work out down the road. The other downside is that as a reservist you get called for people calling out becuase they didn't get the line they wanted.(I'm guessing this is the case) I have been short called twice this month and not once over the busy months during the summer. I finished with 75 hours (on reserve) for the Sept which I understand is unusual for the month considering the normal slowdown.

The other downside is that as a reservist you get called for people calling out becuase they didn't get the line they wanted.(I'm guessing this is the case)

You're saying people call in sick on sunny days, or when they have something better to do?! No way! To the presses!

What an abuse of company resources!
:rolleyes:

I'm hoping it will work out. First month of PBS I didn't get a weekend off while before I was getting two weekends off when I could bid a reserve line that I wanted. I asked for one day off, multiple bid's via a line, reserve A and reserve B and did not get it, and no it wasn't a holiday. I am junior, hired in April at CAL; so it may work out down the road. The other downside is that as a reservist you get called for people calling out becuase they didn't get the line they wanted.(I'm guessing this is the case) I have been short called twice this month and not once over the busy months during the summer. I finished with 75 hours (on reserve) for the Sept which I understand is unusual for the month considering the normal slowdown.

We weren't using PBS for September. I only flew 35 hours on reserve and that included a three I picked up during the aggressive window. It will be interesting to see what happens to reserves in Oct. Good luck and hopefully you'lle have a line soon.

Another thing people complained about is the lack of open time. There is less under PBS but it's not as bad as the "sky is falling" types want you to believe. I was able to completely change my entire schedule for Oct, just like under the old system.

Depends

At NWA it used to be great. It contributed greatly to QOL. Now it is a hammer the company uses to zero out open time while screwing up everyone's schedule in the process. It depends on the product and the parameters used. Before...Good. Now...Bad. But then again it IS the new NWA. QOL is not a consideration.

I think you will find if you ask the individuals that have posted on this topic, that there respective companies have made a concerted effort to make the program work. If the company abides by whatever agreements they have reached with their union on PBS, and they do not try to screw the pilot group again and again, then PBS is great.

You must have good cooperation with your management inorder for this method of bidding to be beneficial to BOTH sides.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back