Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Xditchdogg

Pay Scale Question 91/135 Multiple A/C
I have been flying a Lear 35 (Part 91/135) and a King Air 200 (Part 91) for the past year. The lear flies anywhere from 350 - 500 hrs/yr. depending on charter hours flown and requires, on average, about 2-3 nights/week on the road. The KingAir I only fly about once a month. We operate out of the Phoenix area. I make 70K to fly as captain on both A/C.

Our management company just got under contract a Lear 55 and a Citation CJ2+(brand new, Delivery slated for May 17). They asked me to be lead captain on the CJ2 and also to go to differences for the Lear 55. So now I'm looking at being captain on a Part 91 CJ2 (with 5 owners), a Part 135/91 Lear 35, and a Part 91/135 Lear 55. Where do I start at coming up with a salary figure? I won't be flying the King Air any longer.

The way I look at it, there is much more potential for being away from my family. I went from 2 A/C to 3 A/C. Three that are going to be flying alot. I am thinking of starting negotiations off at 85K. Am I outside the ballpark on this one?
user_online.gif

Ah...The art of negotiation!

I follow your logic completely. If they balk at the idea of increasing your salary by the requested amount, perhaps you might suggest an alternate pay scheme which includes bonus pay for extra away days. In any case, your taking on the '55 probably merits an increase commensurate with the larger cabin class airplane.

How you present this to your employer must depend completely upon the nature of your relationship with them. If you do this in the best possible way, they should feel that a salary increase is in order because they are going to benefit from your taking on increased responsibilities. Market rates (salary survey) may be a supporting factor in your presentation, but the perceived benefit of your increased leadership role to the company may be more compelling. You are in a good position to negotiate if they believe you want to stay with them and will be a valuable asset in the future. Keep it pleasant and positive and you'll probably be making your best play. If you don't get what you want, smile and thank them for their time. Then you can quietly continue to work while you examine your options. No burned bridges, and they have an opportunity to re-consider.

I may be reaching a similar crossroads soon and have been considering what I have learned from my past successes and failures in this area. The above suggestions really apply to my own near-term strategy. I do hope you find this input useful as something to consider while you form your own strategy. Of course, only you will know what you are comfortable with.

Best of success to you,

Last edited:
Charter Pay

Xditchdogg said:
Pay Scale Question 91/135 Multiple A/C
I have been flying a Lear 35 (Part 91/135) and a King Air 200 (Part 91) for the past year. The lear flies anywhere from 350 - 500 hrs/yr. depending on charter hours flown and requires, on average, about 2-3 nights/week on the road. The KingAir I only fly about once a month. We operate out of the Phoenix area. I make 70K to fly as captain on both A/C.

Our management company just got under contract a Lear 55 and a Citation CJ2+(brand new, Delivery slated for May 17). They asked me to be lead captain on the CJ2 and also to go to differences for the Lear 55. So now I'm looking at being captain on a Part 91 CJ2 (with 5 owners), a Part 135/91 Lear 35, and a Part 91/135 Lear 55. Where do I start at coming up with a salary figure? I won't be flying the King Air any longer.

The way I look at it, there is much more potential for being away from my family. I went from 2 A/C to 3 A/C. Three that are going to be flying alot. I am thinking of starting negotiations off at 85K. Am I outside the ballpark on this one?
http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

You might want to start negotiations at $90k to $110K.It gives you more room to maneuver,also the QOL issues are important.See how flexible they are.If they are not,then another operator may certainly want to hire you.Throw some resumes out there to determine what kind of responses you are getting.Hopefully your employer will not fire you for going on an interview at another operator.

Latest resources

Back