Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SammyG

I hope its big enough
I just started the book training for my IFR (while the loan for my actual training is being processed). After going over the section on partial-panel flying, it occured to me that I could probably practice this on FlighSim2002.

So I fired it up, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that the game has a feature where it gives you random instrument failures, which I thought would be good since its kinda pointless just covering an instrument with a sheet of paper (cuz you know that's the only one that's gonna fail). I set the sim to fail me 2 radnom instruments while setting myself up for an ILS in 1/4 mile visbility conditions (if I'm doin an ILS I figured I might as well make it worth it.)

While I don't yet know how well this all will prepare me for real partial-panel flying, I still found it pretty challenging. I recognized almost after takeoff that the attitude and heading indicators where bonkers, and found it tricky just keeping straight and level flight at first, but gradually got used to it. Eventually, I lined the ILS up pretty darned well. Pretty amazing to see the runway lights pop-up right where there supposed to be.

So should I continue partial-panel practice using this game? Or should I just leave the practice for when I start the actual IFR training, is there some bad habits that could grab me that I'm not aware of?

Thanks..

Practice all you can and supplement it with reading. No bad habits will come of it, I assure you. Be aware that neither flight sim nor partial panel training under the hood in the real airplane will be the same as a real vacuum failure in IMC. However, the more you practice that scan, the better you will be, no matter where you practice.

What I wouldn't give for my students to do a little self preparation before stepping into the airplane....

SammyG wrote:
So should I continue partial-panel practice using this game? Or should I just leave the practice for when I start the actual IFR training, is there some bad habits that could grab me that I'm not aware of?

Probably developing a good scan wouldn't do any harm. Despite some generally recommended techniques, the scans we ultimately develop tend to be pretty personal.

If you can arrange to do it, though, doing a session with a CFII and telling her what you want to do and getting some "homework" would be a big help.

If you can't, one other thing I would do to prepare is to play with increasing your workload. Things like changing frequencies, looking things up, etc while keeping your heading and altitude constant.

Another way you can challenge yourself, aside from random instrument failures, is to increase the wind and turbulence settings as you progress in your training.

Some of the values of those pieces of paper that you mentioned are these:

1) The training will be conducted in this manner, and you must be familiar with it.

2) Partial panel training includes practice in making compass turns to headings. Do them above a particular airport (choose the one in the MS database that will be the same airport as where you will train) so the system will replicate the correct compass turning errors for you.

3) The checkride will be conducted in a similar manner.

Certainly, the random instrument failures will be a help to you in learning to recognize a REAL failure during your instrument flying, but it will not help you much at this stage, as you train for your practical.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back