Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DO328-JET FO

Hi,

I have a question regarding the 10-hour rest period between 14 hour duty.

If I'm on my required 10-hour rest, can my company call me to inform me of a flight duty before the 10 hours is up?

Thanks

The FAA has held, by legal interpretation by the FAA Chief Legal Counsel, that a phone call does not interrupt your rest period. Many pilots and pilot organizations have mistaken this interpretation to believe that it means the company may only call you once. This isn't what the interp says. It says a phone call doesn't interrupt rest.

By legal weight, the regulation, federal register preambles, and then FAA Chief Legal Counsel interpretations apply, and in that order. The legal interpetation is defensible in court and represents the official interpretation of the regulation as applied by the Administrator.

yes they can, only once. Normally it is done in the last hour of rest. Your rest begins and ends at your place of work, and travel that is local in nature (whatever that means) is part of crew rest. So that can have at work when your rest ends.

The legal interpretation does not state that the company can only call once. This is a common misunderstanding, and is incorrect.

The interpretation states that one call does not interrupt rest.

Nowhere does the interpretation state at what point in the rest period the call may or may not be made, only that it does not legally interrupt the rest period.

Latest resources

Back