Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Paramedic Cert helpful for Air Ambulance flying position?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snakum

How's your marmott?
Strange question ...

I'm finally flying again and hope to have my Multi/Comm/CFI by next Summer. At 40 years old, I still haven't given up on flying for a living, but I know it's going to be a tough road with no promises. As a backup plan, I'm returning to school this Fall for an AS in Emergency Medical Science (I have a degree in engineering technology already) and will have the EMT III/Paramedic license within 18 months. I figure if I never do anything past flight instructing, that I could at least live on CFI pay and EMT pay combined.

So, that got me wondering ... would having the EMT III/Paramedic license help me at all in trying to land an air ambulance pilot gig? I figure it'd give my employer a lot of flexibility, in that he could use me for whichever position he needed for a particular run. I'm not sure how the pay thing would work though, because I know that full EMT III Paramedics make more than the average King Air FO. Would it help?

I've never really wanted to do airline flying, and always thought that 135 charter in King Airs or Citations would fit me best. I've read/heard all the horror stories about scummy 135 operators in the last few years, but I think I could make a decent living and be quite content flying a King Air with the right company.

Just curious ...

Minh

With your hrs you will not be able to do PIC 135 IFR. Are you thinking of a SIC position? If you want a pilot position don't offer the EMT role, because most likely you will stay an EMT for awhile. For small fixed wing operator (C-340 & PA-31 - would require PIC min or for EMT position), try Trans North Aviation/Travel Care International, Eagle River/Green Bay, WI.

Yes, definitely referring to SIC position. It'll most likely be a very long time before I have 135 mins, due to having to instruct part-time and then getting whatever hours I can scrounge out of my pocket or from my bosses for short business trips. Was just curious if anyone working air ambulance had run across FOs/EMTs working in both capacities, and if it might help to have the EMT III cert.

Thanks for the info ..

Minh

Not sure what an EMTIII cert is but I know the air ambulance company I flew for required med staff to be at least a paramedic and they wanted a fair amount of experience. This is where you could get your foot in the door as med staff turnover was greater than that of the pilot staff.

This is where you could get your foot in the door as med staff turnover was greater than that of the pilot staff.
Ah ha! A breakthru! :) That might be the ticket when the time comes to start looking.

Thanks for the input, all!

Minh

I am probably one of the very few that went from the back of an air ambulance to the front. I worked in a hospital ER for about 8 years when the hospital started an air ambulance program. I started getting to know the flight nurses by teaching them on how to do patient assessments in the field. I knew all of the nurses and they knew me. When they had a difficult or a very critical patient they would call me to go with then as a second pair of hands.

I then got to know the flight crews in the fix wing program. I had zero time when I started flying in the back, but I started training right after my first couple of trips in the airplane. Two years later and about 220 hours, the provider of the airplane decided to have FO’s on the airplane to help with the flying, lifting of patients and keeping the airplane clean. I got called to be a FO and never looked back. I ended up flying an Aero Commander 1000, Piper Cheyenne IIXL and III, a Lear 25, and King Airs for the company until I moved on to greener pastures.

Start by finding a company that uses a two pilot crew. Then go to work for the hospital and get to know the crews and see if they will let you go with them on flights to help out. This will get you access to the flight crews and the company management that does the hiring of flight crews. Talk with the flight crews and get to know them very well and that you are a great person and that you would like to fly for a living. Ask about flying and their job, how do they like it, the challenges that they face, etc. It may take a while but after you have your ratings maybe start out flying for them part time. Enjoy the helping of people in the back until you can make it up front.

The second option is to work as a Paramedic while you build your flight time. Most hospitals do not hire you as a Paramedic so you can move into the front seat as a pilot.

Thanks Up!

Minh

I flew Life Flight (fixed wing) for three years. Having your EMT certification won't help you at all. Take your time and build up your flying credentials. By the way, three years is a long time to fly dedicated air ambulance - most guys, myself included, tend to burn out pretty fast.

As a former EMT/E.R. Tech/Military Medic/S.A.R. team member, I guess I can chime in here. I can't speak for all air ambulance systems, but I think that landing a job as a flight Paramedic or Nurse in the back is pretty competative process, and they will probably require some significant amount of EMS "street experience" or E.R. experience for their medical staff (plus, you need to have a HUGE ego and think of yourself as God's gift to EMS.........just kidding!). Not sure if they would even consider an inexperienced medical provider, and I highly doubt that anybody would use a "dual-role" pilot-medic.

BUT having some certification shows that you do know SOMETHING about the demands of patient care, and it would probably show them that you have some interest in the EMS aviation industry and that you're not the average time-builder pilot who dreams about flying a 747 someday.

I interviewed for an air ambulance position about a year ago, and I think that my medical background MIGHT have helped me get that interview. However, during the interview they didn't delve into my medical experience much at all.

I agree with Lead Sled - build flying credentials, and if EMS interests you then maybe try your hand as an EMT/Paramedic but don't expect that to be the silver bullet that will get you into the right seat.

I'm almost thinking having an EMT as a pilot might be a conflict of interest of sorts. You can't help but feel some emotion for the patient and be wary of the need to get a patient down where they need to go expeditiously, but the pilot's role needs to be removed from those influences. Pilot's job is to fly the aircraft safely regardless of what is going on in the back and be able to tell the EMTs what you can and cannot do. Of course the patient is always stable when flying EMS, right?!

Latest resources

Back