Overstating The Obvious, But...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

realitycheck

Every once in a while, I get a wild hair and start thinking everything is a conspiracy. The airlines certainly offer a fertile ground for theories--

I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but do you ever think that the majors have everthing right where they want it? If Canadair or Embraer would build a 130 seat regional jet, then pilots could serve 737 markets in RJs... but at "RJ" pay.

Is there really much of a difference between a crusty DC-9/MD-80 and a 90 seat ERJ? Yeah there is... the captain for the DC-9/MD-80 can pay for the entire RJ crew (CP, FO and 2 FAs) and still have money left over for golf on Nantucket.

In the future, I think the lines to the wide bodies will be long, and by the time you get there you'll have ten years left, and you'll be back to working holidays and sitting reserve for months. The rest of us will be flying around in "130-seat RJs" making $100,000 as a ten year Captain.

I believe (and I'm sure someone will correct me within nanoseconds) that Comair is same pay for 50 and 70 seaters; I also believe that SAPA (SkyWest Airlines Pilots Assoc.) is requesting same pay for up to 90 seaters. Hmmm....

Oh yes... don't let 'em fool you. The majors got us right where they want us.

But it's still the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Last edited:
We already do...

then pilots could serve 737 markets in RJs... but at "RJ" pay

At CoEx we already do run RJ's on historically 737 routes. International and transcon is what is mostly left over for the 73's.

realitycheck said:
Every once in a while, I get a wild hair and start thinking everything is a conspiracy. The airlines certainly offer a fertile ground for theories--

I think you are absolutely right. But you left out the fact that the majors are all trying to make things look as bad as possible right now, so they can take more money back from their employees. Congress dumped a bunch of unfunded security mandates on the majors, and instead of passing on the costs to their customers, they are passing them on to their employees.

Think of the literally billions of dollars in pay that has been taken out of the already fragile economy from pay cuts and lay-offs of airline workers. Also the government doesn't get to collect taxes on pay from lost jobs, further exacerbating our budget deficits.

Here are the Comair pay rates for 50 vs. 70 seat...

Current 3 year 50 seat.... $59.54
Current 18 (max) year 50 seat.... $91.05

Current 3 year 70 seat.......$65.49
Current 18 (max) year 50 seat.......$105.04

Fly Safe

Add this to your thinking.

The airlines right now have all scaled back their route structures due to reduced demand. Those routes have been given to the Commuter airlines. What do you think will happen when the economy improves? Do you honestly think that the Major Airlines will continue to have the Commuter Airlines fly all these routes? I think not. Most Majors now have "Parked" some of their fleet during these trying times. I have seen it before when they "Unpark" aircraft and begin flying them again. So what will happen to the Commuter Airline Pilots? What will happen to the Commuter Airline Route structure?

Just adding a little more fat to chew on!

Yeah but...

CaptDave- thanks for those numbers- it appears my sources were sort of correct. At 18 years, an extra $14,000 (or so) a year for 70 seaters is certainly a difference, but not a strict pay-for-weight scale, IMHO.

BE90 and others- I think perhaps I failed to clearly express my point. Yes, I agree the majors are parking airplanes and looking for any seam to unpark them. But when it's all said and done, the majors would prefer flying old B737, MD-80 / DC-9, etc. routes with "130-seat RJs" at a considerable flight crew and fuel expense discount. Whether they fly it themselves or farm it out to a regional, they want RJ pay for routes and equipment that used to pay 2-3 times as much.

Simple- biggest expenses in the airlines are labor and fuel (airplanes are capitalized and depreciated, or leased). They cannot control fuel, but they can control labor... paying pilots to fly 130-seat airplanes which the manufacturers and majors call "RJs". And in this world, RJs mean commuter... and commuter means less pay even if you fly 130 passengers coast-to-coast (I know the freakin' difference between commuter and regional and major- don't flame me... it's a figure of speech).

BE90CPT said:
Add this to your thinking.

The airlines right now have all scaled back their route structures due to reduced demand. Those routes have been given to the Commuter airlines. What do you think will happen when the economy improves? Do you honestly think that the Major Airlines will continue to have the Commuter Airlines fly all these routes? I think not. Most Majors now have "Parked" some of their fleet during these trying times. I have seen it before when they "Unpark" aircraft and begin flying them again. So what will happen to the Commuter Airline Pilots? What will happen to the Commuter Airline Route structure?

Just adding a little more fat to chew on!

Typically when mainline picks up or takes back regional flying aircraft get deployed into developing or underserved markets. Regional aircraft are a tool used to "test the waters" and see how much demand exists without going to the expense of putting mainline aircraft on a route. Often when mainline takes back a route they will still use the regional to supplement the service.

embdrvr said:
Typically when mainline picks up or takes back regional flying aircraft get deployed into developing or underserved markets. Regional aircraft are a tool used to "test the waters" and see how much demand exists without going to the expense of putting mainline aircraft on a route. Often when mainline takes back a route they will still use the regional to supplement the service.

Thankds for that info. It explains that issue.

Latest resources

Back