over seas airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Scarabus

Anyone else notice that if you are applying for a job over seas that they only want typed pilots in the planes they fly? What's wrong with typing a new hire?

Anyone else notice that if you are applying for a job over seas that they only want typed pilots in the planes they fly? What's wrong with typing a new hire?

For the most part it is a government requirement. Most governments only allow airlines to hire the pilots that they don't have. That typically means experienced captains.

When it is for First Officers that is usually because the pilots who are willing to go buy their own type rating are ruining it for others. In Europe it is pretty common practice for new pilots to buy their first type rating.

Typhoonpilot

For the most part it is a government requirement. Most governments only allow airlines to hire the pilots that they don't have. That typically means experienced captains.

When it is for First Officers that is usually because the pilots who are willing to go buy their own type rating are ruining it for others. In Europe it is pretty common practice for new pilots to buy their first type rating.

Typhoonpilot

It's funny though. The contractors for the Japanese gigs want the candidate to be type rated on a 2 person jet aircraft. However, some will have you do a US/FAA type rating on the equipment before sending you to Japan to do the conversion. So I've wondered, whey require a type if they are going to get you one here on your cert BEFORE you go over there?

Don't know about other contracts here in Japan but with the 767 contracts in ANA you don't have to be typed in the 767 to apply, Also you will be issued a full Japanese ATPL not a convertion based on your other FAA or CAA certificates.
As Typhoon mentioned, most contract gigs require you to be typed and experienced for the A/C you are applying to but as demand vs. supply gets more tight in the international market, you will see contracts offered to experienced captains that are not necessarily typed and experienced on the A/C. For example, you have gigs in Asia right now that are offering positions on the 777's to experienced captains on 747's and 767's but they have to get their own type. But I suspect that with the feeding frenzies that are happening Internationally on regards to pilot hiring, you will see 777 and 787 contracts offered to pilots without those types but experienced captains in heavy wide body A/C, with the airline picking up the tab under some sort of training bond agreement.

I am just trying to get out of charter and move my family back to japan. Trying everything I can find to get it done but it's proving a little hard to do. I have no 121 time which is complicating things.

Latest resources

Back