OpSpec C082 / Landing Distance Req'd

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HawkDrvr

With this new deal coming out we need to figure out how it applies to FAR 135.385.

Will this new 15% margin need to be added to the AFM Actual Landing Distance and after this will we need to be able to land with the AFM # Plus the 15% within 60% of the effective landing distance..???

Here's an example and someone tell me if I am correct.

1. AFM say 3000' req'd....
2. 3000' + 15% = 3450'
3. I want to land on a 5000' RWY therefore I can't because 60% of 5000' is 3000' ...

I am right or wrong ??? Please help....

I just found the FAA order and it specifies it for Part 125, aircraft over 20 seats and/or 6000 lbs payload. Are you sure it applies to you?

http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2006/ChicagoIL%20SW/Exhibits/349390.pdf

You might try looking at this explanation of the OPs spec. I didn't thoroughly read the thing, when I sent the previous post.

As I read this, the 135.385 calculations are a preflight calculation. Currently the regs do not require you to actually re-calculate the distance if the conditions deterioriate enroute. I can't imagine a pilot who wouldn't do this, but this evidently is in response to the Southwest accident.

I don't think this is going to change a whole lot of things, but who knows how things will be interpreted.

The changes dont apply to the 60% rule. It only applies to actual landing distance. The other change is that the actual conditions at time of landing need to be considered in the calculations prior to landing.

Questions have been asked and are currently being answered by the FAA regarding the proposed Ops Spec. The 15% is for the actual conditions at landing. Each carrier will need to develop a training program and procedure to accomplish this. A lot of answers reamin unanswered. Send your comments to the FAA so your concerns are heard before they issue the final rule.

Latest resources

Back