• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

On the road questions...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, everyone's done a good job answering your questions, but I'll throw in my hat as an additional set of answers for you.

Flashbang said:
What kind of hotels do you guys stay in while on the road?
Hilton, Marriott, Embassy, Westin, etc. Never stay at the cheaper, "lesser" brand hotels - Super 8(?), Ramada's, etc. We've stayed at the Ritz a couple times when the situation warranted. If we fly to an international destination, we'll typically stay at an all-inclusive resort. The boss likes to see us keep it around $100-200 a night if possible. Pilot discounts will usually get you some good prices at most any hotels as well.

Flashbang said:
Does your boss expect you to share a room with the other pilot?
Never, EVER share a room with another pilot. For all reasons previously stated!

Flashbang said:
When you get airlined, is it customary to fly in first or business class seat or do you go in the back? Does it even matter?
We typically go for the cheapest price. Southwest is our priority airline. Typically when we airline its on real short notice so it all really depends. We always fly in the back (Southwest doesn't matter anyways!).

Flashbang said:
Per diem vs. company credit card? Which one do you prefer?
Company credit card. All our Captains are issued a company credit card, and they are responsible for picking up all expenses for the crew while on the road. This includes hotels, rental cars, food, aircraft supplies,tips and fees. If the Captain and I are not together, then I just put it on my credit card, and expense report it when I get back. Entertainment expenses, and alcohol is the only thing the company won't pick up.

Flashbang said:
Do you share a rental car with the other guy or do each of you rent your own?
We always share a rental car. Typically only get one if we'll be at a destination more then a couple days. Any shorter, or if close to the airport / entertainment, we'll typically not bother getting one. We visit a lot of the same cities so we find hotels that have lots to offer close by to them to keep us entertained without having to get a rental car.

User997 said:
Entertainment expenses, and alcohol is the only thing the company won't pick up.

You are kidding, right? You don't submit a receipt that states "alcohol", do you?

Why don't they reimburse you for a drink you have with dinner?

English said:
You are kidding, right? You don't submit a receipt that states "alcohol", do you?

Why don't they reimburse you for a drink you have with dinner?
A drink with dinner is ok, I was talking more along the lines of going down to the hotel bar and having a couple drinks. That better not show up on the company card!

And I'm sure we're all well-versed on the art of masking receipts for all those 11:30pm "dinners"... ;)

We try to stay at marriott, or something like it. Share the rental car. Company American Express card for everything including fuel . We get about enough point to go anywhere we want to take our family each year. Airlines? We deadhead the airplane if it is more than a couple days, and not across the county, otherwise its coach.

Flashbang said:
What kind of hotels do you guys stay in while on the road? Does your boss expect you to share a room with the other pilot?

When you get airlined, is it customary to fly in first or business class seat or do you go in the back? Does it even matter?

Per diem vs. company credit card? Which one do you prefer?

Do you share a rental car with the other guy or do each of you rent your own?
We stay in "nice" hotels. As to which chains, it totally depends upon where we're at. Like always though, there are places where the best place in town is a Motel 6. Typically we stay at Hiltons, Marriotts, or the equivalent. And no, we never share a room.

Domestic U.S. airline travel is coach. More than 5 or 6 hour legs and we'd probably go first or business class - the boss wouldn't care.

As far as per diem vs. company credit cards - I've done it both ways in my career. I've always managed to come out a little ahead on per diem arrangements, but now it's not worth the hassle. We are reimbursed for all of our actual expenses. Our policy is to spend the bosses' money as if it were our own. That is to say that we are as careful with his money as we would be if we were spending our own. He trusts us and we would never do anything that would cause him to question that trust. We use our personal credit cards for our personal expenses and we are reimbursed immediately.

We have a credit card that we use for aircraft expenses. I suppose that we could use the "airplane card" for our personal expenses, but I'd just as soon get the miles, points, etc. on my card. At our discretion, we can get cash advances for personal expenses - which we do when flying internationally. There are some outfits where I would never dare use my own personal card to cover my personal expenses. I have absolutely no problem doing it here.

We get rental cars whenever necessary. If we need one we get one, if we need two we get two. It's never even questioned.

Our situation is atypical though. We fly for a family and no tax write-offs are involved. The airplane is essentially one of the family's "recreational vehicles".

'Sled

User997 said:
A drink with dinner is ok, I was talking more along the lines of going down to the hotel bar and having a couple drinks. That better not show up on the company card!
Sounds like a perfect example of a room charge!

Having said that, I believe the mark of a great company is submitting an expense report with a $300 dinner from Applebee's in Starkville, MS, and the company never asking a question.:D

I stay where I want to stay - Hilton, Marriot, Hyatt - doesn't matter. I basically keep it reasonable. I usually try for a Holiday Inn, as that's where my points are. Never shared a room, but I fly single pilot. I wouldn't be expected to if I were part of a crew, though.

I have a company Amex that I expense everything to. Airplane expenses such as fuel, cleaning, charts, or anything else I want for the plane go to my Amex card as well. I like it because I get the points, and each month averages about 10-15K. Therefore every other month I have another round trip ticket to anywhere in the country. Pretty cool.

Technically I'm not supposed to expense alcohol, however nobody bats an eye at a 40 dollar tab at Chili's or wherever. As a rule, I don't drink at all if I fly the next day - even if the flight is in the afternoon or evening. That's a personal rule, though.

I don't airline anywhere. I don't fly an airplane cool enough for it. They'll have me fly the plane home empty if it's an extended trip, and pick them up later.

Last edited:
Usually stay in nice places.....Marriot, Hilot, Sheraton, Doubletree.....sometimes we're at a Comfort Inn or Holiday or something like that, but usually only when we're in BFE and there's nothing else.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER SHARE A ROOM.

We get per diem. I hate it......I'd rather have a company card. Although, you will run into some guys that love it. They get $50 or $60 bucks a day, eat a lot of Mickey D's and pocket the rest. My old CP used to love to do this. I've had both, and I like the company card more hands down.

Airlined in the back.

Share a rental car.

I work for a crappy 135 company.....and we're still industry standard on all of this stuff.

"Having said that, I believe the mark of a great company is submitting an expense report with a $300 dinner from Applebee's in Starkville, MS, and the company never asking a question."- 501261

That's a great quote......I can relate!

Latest resources

Back