Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
So I was deadheading home to SYR today, and pulled in next to the EMB-170 "miracle jet". Walked through ops to drop off my bag and asked the folks how long it was supposed to sit before it goes back to PIT, in the hopes of checking it out (no dice on that, the station manager considers it a golden cow for now). They told me that it was already supposed to be there, as it was broken. They told me that, apparently, those brushy bristles that sweep the wheel clean as it retracts and seals up the well with the wheels retracted were "falling out". They had a nice little pile of them sitting on the desk. Now, I would not consider this to be a grounding item, but apparently, since it's still in it's first week of revenue operation, a lot of MEL items and such have been overlooked by our friends in Brazil.

So my question is if anybody can share some insight on the trials and tribulations other companies might have had with a brand new airplane. As with anything so complicated, I understand that there will be growing pains, but I wonder just how many.

It's unfortunate that USAirways is pinning it's hopes on an untested product. I remember reading somewhere (on this board maybe?) some quote from some airline exec from the past that said "I don't want to be the launch customer for anything...". I have to completely agree. I'm sure the folks at JetBlue are more than happy to let USAirways figure it out for them.

Not to worry, we have a new CRJ (<20 hours on it TT) that has spent more time in the hangar than flying revenue. Something is always not working on it. Most take a couple of weeks to get the gremlins worked out straight from the factory.

Couple of years ago we had so much trouble with one CRJ it actually was taken back by Bombardier and replaced with a new one!! For AWACers ever wonder why A/C 408 has the newer interior?? The original was that POS!

91 said:
So I was deadheading home to SYR today, and pulled in next to the EMB-170 "miracle jet". Walked through ops to drop off my bag and asked the folks how long it was supposed to sit before it goes back to PIT, in the hopes of checking it out (no dice on that, the station manager considers it a golden cow for now).
*snip*

dude, how does sal make that call?
it would be up to the crew manning that ship as to whether or not they'd let you come up to see it, sal's got nuthin to do with it

Well, I had asked the folks in ops if I could take a look inside, and they said that there were passengers on it, despite the delay, and then somebody said something like "Sal says you have to be 'checked out on it' ", whatever that means. Same reason we don't have SIDA badges probably. At any rate, I went upstairs hoping to maybe sneak on, but the gate looked like a 3rd world bus station, a complete zoo, so I gave up and went home. We'll see it sooner or later.

91 said:
Well, I had asked the folks in ops if I could take a look inside, and they said that there were passengers on it, despite the delay, and then somebody said something like "Sal says you have to be 'checked out on it' ", whatever that means. Same reason we don't have SIDA badges probably. At any rate, I went upstairs hoping to maybe sneak on, but the gate looked like a 3rd world bus station, a complete zoo, so I gave up and went home. We'll see it sooner or later.

rofl

COEX was the launch customer for the 145. There we many engine shut downs in the early days. I think there may have even been a dual engine event durring one flight. I guess just software glitches. The early days of the ATR had lots of problems with the prop brake. Seems they kept slipping and catching fire:(

91 said:
So I was deadheading home to SYR today, and pulled in next to the EMB-170 "miracle jet". Walked through ops to drop off my bag and asked the folks how long it was supposed to sit before it goes back to PIT, in the hopes of checking it out (no dice on that, the station manager considers it a golden cow for now). They told me that it was already supposed to be there, as it was broken. They told me that, apparently, those brushy bristles that sweep the wheel clean as it retracts and seals up the well with the wheels retracted were "falling out". They had a nice little pile of them sitting on the desk. Now, I would not consider this to be a grounding item, but apparently, since it's still in it's first week of revenue operation, a lot of MEL items and such have been overlooked by our friends in Brazil.
Now THAT is some funny stuff!

Over on Eaglelounge, you would think they were running a fantasy airline or something, sort of like the fantasy sports team, complete with an imaginary aircraft fleet (EMB-170/190). Everyone keeps going on and on about how we just HAVE to get these airplanes, that APA will try to get them, or AMR will outsource them to someone else....

I'ts really funny when you try to remind them that we already HAVE 70 seaters (Canadairs), that we already HAVE a 70 seat payscale (nothing to brag about), and that APAs time frame to get the 70 seaters from us has already expired....They just keep going on and on about how we just gotta reinvent the wheel and get these EMB-170s. It'll be like working for entirely different airline if we do!

Thanks for posting this. It serves to remind one of the old saying "Be careful of what you wish for...."

LAXSaabdude (laughing right now!)

Saabdude, I'm sure the EMB-170/190 series will be a great plane once the kinks are worked out. I've never even been inside either a CRJ70 nor the new EMB, but I have a feeling that the EMB might be better from a passenger standpoint. The CRJ70 is a stretched version of another stretched plane (a version of a version, so I'm sure there are compromises), where the EMB is all new. Once the bugs are worked out that is.

The unfortunate thing is that these airplanes are likely to be (like they are not already) the battleground between mainline and express groups. The USAirways MEC already has a foothold on the staffing for these planes, albeit at Express payscales.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back